BYYB Forums

Full Version: Time to fly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Darick_Anderson

Yes, yuba is comming fast Big Grin
The red is almost gone of my weekender. OH...Yea, we named her NIMBUS after Harry Potter's broomstick. It's a family boat ,so the kids are a big part of the project. We just came in from doing more painting, got stuck in a big wind storm...you know the kind that blows junk on to your freshly painted parts :x :x :x :x :x :x *&#~^ anyway...

After painting, do you put some kind of seeler on it or does it harden up good enough to take some abuse? I'm using exterior house paint.
Also, the rudder barely fits inside the upper housing, its too tight to be pulled up or down with the rope Sad ...any suggetions?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't this fun!

Toss the rudder it is wet and swollen, do a new box and rudder.... it is one of the TWO major components on a sailboat. YIKES! I am excited for you this is going to be a BLAST for both you and your family.

:lol: :lol: Your kids will still be talking about it in 20 years, regardless if it was a good experience or "lousy" Good luck.
my rudder is a bit tight - i am not tossing it though - no time (i am doing math 20 hours a day and i still can't get the hang of the row operations with 2 or more equations ---- :evil: :evil: )

I am just going to hit it with a belt sander and go - new rudder box/rudder etc AFTER yuba for me...i still need to do a ghetto tiller rig fer the day....my paint is just fine and it is exterior latex....i used behr from the home despots....

this is going to BE FUN!!!! I REALLY CAN't WAit!!!! and it figures that Steve is REady all calm cOol and colLEcted! hE is one mellow cat!

I AM SO GLAD biLL is GOINg tO HAve hIS oWn boAt!!!!

i HoPE to get at lEast oNe row of Reef points in by i am not hOlding my BrEath on that....

a.

Darick_Anderson

Thanks Adla, I think the belt sander is a good idea, way easier too Big Grin
Does the rudder move pretty freely, or should there be some resistance?

I have also considered a tiller, not sure what to make of the wheel :?
Either way Nimbus is gonna be cool Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue She's forest green and white for now, might change colors for next year.

I will have to go to Phil's site to see where to hang the bergies from.I need a non-windy day so I can put up the riging and work on the spaghetti/sails. Big Grin

Darick_Anderson

Angie, I think I will have to wait on the new tiller. Like Adla, I'll just hit it with the belt sander and repaint. Maybe after Yuba :wink:

By the way, my wife's sister lives in or near Pax river Maryland. I told her if we go to visit her, I was gonna look you up. Maybe even bring Nimbus along. Put that thought in the back of your mind for now though, were still not sure if we are going. Do you guys go out on the bay?

I think that would be so cool Tongue Tongue Tongue
Steve,

Hope everything turned out ok. Haven't had ANY time to figure out any songs...we may just have to wing it again Big Grin

Everyone else,

ARRRRGGH!!! The stress of work and the boat building are trying to exist on the same plane!!!! I'm quite sure if it continues, it will rip an irrepairable hole in the space-time continuum.....

Got the boat PREPPED for glass. I will definately glass tomorrow. Rudder box is prepped for paint, rudder is DONE.

[Image: seats.JPG]

[Image: ready4glass.JPG]

Yes, that is the glass laying on the bow Tongue Tongue Tongue
looks super BriT - reaLly SuPer! i almost wish i could be there for the glass ( Big Grin - but U doN't nEed a mICrO mANagER :lol: )

i just loVe the deck and SeAts ----

Darick - sounds good - green and white are sharp colors for a weekender. if you need help with rigging pHotos just holler...I have the mast up and the sails off currently and could probably take a photo or two for ya.

the only thing i did differently is add a block on the gaff jaws so that the peak and the throat have the same number of pulleys and raise evenly....

a.
Sounds like everybody is clicking right along and will be ready on time. Good on ya!

Darick if the wood is good, some sanding and elbow grease is probably all she needs. Smile

Please do look me up when you come this way. Both Karl and I live right on the water. We are both on the West River about 3/4 of a mile to the open expanse of the Chesapeake. Occasionally we nose the weekenders out into the Bay if it is a calm stable day.... the wind blows all the time so a 10 knot breeze is perfect, with big puffy cumulous clouds.

However, as soon as you see stratus clouds start to appear or you see cumulous clouds start to pile up, it is time to run for the shelter of West River or even South Creek. The wind and waves build very quickly because of the lay of the land and because the water is so shallow (average depth of Chesapeake is 23') and our boats are simply not built for open water. When the boat starts pounding as you drop down off a wave you really hope your construction was up to par. Confusedhock: Things can get very dicey, very quickly.

However, we have nice protected areas right by our houses, what they call creeks here are protected bays fed by a creek. South Creek is where we sail alot, it is a nice big protected bay a few miles wide that leads into the West River which is a larger protected area which leads into the bay.
Wow Brit, that looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it with the glass on. I'm ok Angie, just a little slow right now. Can't lift anything over 10 pounds yet but I'll get over it. Darick, it would be nice to find someone with a thickness planer to run that rudder through. It souldn't be tight but it shouldn't be loose either. You have to be able to swing that rudder up for beaching. I need to touch up my rudder at the bottom where it drug across some rocks. Scratched the paint off and roughed up the wood some. Thank goodness it's oak.
Glad to know our own cowboy poet will be ship shape in no time. 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16