BYYB Forums

Full Version: Navajo Lake Messabout 8/18-20 2006
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Awright, GOSH!!! Tongue

I decided to go sailing, singlehandedly, up to Pineview Resevoir July 22nd. Probably not a good pick, but there were mitigating circumstances. As I drove by the lake, I noticed that there were less power boats than I had expected, and there was a nice breeze.

As I got to the ramp, there were about nine or ten boats in line already, waiting to launch. No problem, I thought, as I started to rig my sails. "Nice boat". "Nice boat". "Nice boat". "Nice boat". "Nice boat". "Did you build that yourself?" "Nice boat".

Anyway, got to the ramp, and some dill hole pushed his trailer right ahead of me. So I backed in right next to him, there seemed to be plenty of room for the both of us. No problems. Yet.

I started to motor over to the dock, when the wake of some dumbsh*@ rocked my boat so bad, the motor came off the mount. Luckily, I grabbed it before it fell in the water. I turned to look to see where that jackA$$ went, and noticed three sheriffs, standing around drinking coffee. Actually, only one was drinking coffee. The others were probably coaching him.....The sheriff patrol boat was at the dock, but the officers didn't seem very interested in the boater that just buzzed the ramp, inside the buoys.

I decided to sail over to the east, where there was a nice point that blocked the wakes pretty well, or so I thought. I got about 45 minutes of fair sailing in, before things started to really get bad. I was only about 200-250 yards from the ramp/sheriffs, when a monster cabin cruiser buzzed me at about 40 mph, I would guess 30 yards away. My riggin held up, but I had my first experience at baling water from the cockpit. Again, I looked over to the ramp, to see the officers de juer staring out at the lake, mesmerized by its wetness. As I am making the appropriate hand signals to the captain of the other boat, another boat screams up to my port side, and shuts down his motor about 10 yards from me. "Nice boat". "Did you build that yourself?". As I didn't answer right away, and probably noticing my fleeting attempts to bail water from the cockpit, they took off, as quickly as they stopped. Again, I look to the officers, and they have started up the hill to the main building, probably to get more coffee.

I decided at that point that my safety and my boat's safety are in peril, and headed back to the dock, to pull out, lesson learned. My sails were up, and I was sailing windward in a light breeze. As I got within about 50 yards of the dock, another gifted powerboater cut me off, and took the spot I was sailing for at the dock.

[Image: Wake.JPG]

This wake, although not as serious as the others, also welcomed itself into my cockpit. **Note - this is the first trip out that I took a milk jug bucket for bailing. Good thing.**

I shook my head in disbelief, and continued for the dock, opposite side this time. And, right on cue, another wonderfully considerate powerboater cut right in front of me, this time only about 20 yards away. I yelled at him, letting him know he took my spot, and he let me know I was number 1. The sheriffs were now admiring a fourth officer's new patrol truck.

I snapped. I looked over at the ramp, which was empty, but one fellow's wife was bringing their trailer over. I hit the motor on my boat, and brought it in to the RAMP as fast as I could. I beached the boat on the ramp sideways, cast off both anchors, and waded out to get my truck. I walked intentionally slow. With the boat in the way, no one could launch or retrieve any boats. I backed my boat down the ramp, and started retrieving my boat. Jack@$$ #1 was yelling at me from the safety of his boat, but I was a little bit more interested in Jack@$$ #2, who was heading down to have a word with me. I was pretty sure he was upset, cause his buddy was trying to hold him back. This FINALLY got the attention of the coffee-drinking sheriff, and he headed over to intercept...ME? I told my story to the sheriiff, as his buddies "mosied" over, but it all fell on deaf ears. I was creating a "disturbance" and would have to leave. I was informed also that if I attempted to return, I would be cited. I wish I knew more about boating laws at that time. I since learned more about how horrifically wrong the sheriff was. I did, however, get his name. I also wrote a very detailed letter to his supervisor, and forwarded one to the mayor of Huntsville. I have told this story to a couple of police I know, and a ranger I met at the GSL. All of them have told me I should have put up more of a fight.

DAMAGE REPORT:

The rigging held up extremely well. My keel has a 5-foot gouge about 2 feet forward of center, running back on the starboard side. A couple of glue joints show signs of stress, but nothing a little paint won't cure for now.
Exerpt from Utah Boating Safety Manual:

Sailboats and manually-powered boats usually have the
right of way over motorboats. Motorboats should stay
clear of sailboats and manually-powered boats and
should not create a wake that may cause them trouble.
Sailboats and manually-powered boats must yield right of
way when overtaking motorboats and when a motorboat
is adrift or at anchor.
In overtaking and passing situations, the boat being
passed has right of way, and the passing boat is required
to stay clear. When meeting another boat head-on, stay to
the right. When two boats are crossing paths, the boat on
the left must slow down and allow the other boat to pass.
On rivers, boats going downstream usually have the right
of way.
In narrow channels, boats underway must stay right of
the middle of the channel.
Sounds like you had Barney, Cletis and Boss Hogg all together there Britt. The nice thing about Navajo is it's so small you won't find any ski boats on the lake, just some small fishing boats, maybe a canoe or two and of course lots of "weekenders" this month. Sometimes the world isn't fair.
well i see a trend with the Utah power boaters....too

the last day at Yuba i dropped my sails and was wrapping up just as the wind came up (lucky timing - it got windy fast and furious)...i motored into the dock and a big cabin cruiser cut me off...and then kept cutting me off because he couldn't control his boat in the wind...then he came right at me and i backed up and hollered *can you get out of my way* (he wasn't anywhere near able to control his boat and was monopolizing the entire area....he hollered back *its windY* (duh)...anyway...I finally was able to get to the dock...tied morgaine down and walked up the hill...I took my time (because I was leaving her there alone) - tied her down good and then as I get to my camp site this same motor cruiser is on the trailer and parked across my camp site (blocking my truck and trailer in) - and I stood there for a minute - he saw me...and finally said - "look, can you move so I can get my boat ?" - he seemed surprised like the whole world was his oyster or something and finally moved....UTAH...i see a UTAH power boater problem...THe sherriff guy at Yuba was interviewing people left and right and many power boaters were unlicensed, without equipment, etc. The bass boats and cruisers here aren't much better.

Brit - When you took on the water what happened...because I have had a couple of really big cruisers plow right by me - and my scary moments never had water coming in the cockpit...I generally let go of the wheel or tiller and let the boat handle the wave without me....I find that she does a little smack and bob...but if I don't mess with trying to steer - she does a better job. only Once was it so rough that her nose pushed through a wave - and the water went out the scuppers before it got to the cockpit (my coamings will be finished this fall) ....The other thing that happend at Yuba was a power boat wante to see morgaine so he plowed around me in a circle

Confusedhock: - i yelled out that i appreciated the admiration but asked him to not try to sink me - i was hit with his wake from multiple directions - i always just let go of the tiller.

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT NAVAJO....

oh yeah - good for you for writing a letter -

a.
Brit,

Pineview is notorious for it's crowded conditions and crazy powerboaters. There are people that die there almost every year. Seldom are proper distances from other boats observed. Unfortunately, you aren't required to know anything about the boating rules of the road. All you need is enough money to buy the fastest thing on the water. Other lakes have problems, but by far the worst is Pineview. I avoid busy holidays to avoid crowds.

Believe it or not, it is a pretty good place to sail. The west end by the dam is often windy and most skiers avoid that area. If I might ask, what ramp did you use? Cemetery, Anderson Cove or Port? I don't like their docks - they are very unstable. I once lost my footing and slipped in trying to tie up my boat. I could not pull myself up to the dock. I had to rely on bystanders to tie up my boat and help me up. They at least were observant enough to do that.

Face it Brit, we're outnumbered in Utah and most ski boaters will never understand what sailing involves. (Unless you go to the Great Salt Lake). Single-handing just demands that much more. Seldom do powerboaters ever try that. You can't ski without at least 2 other people on board (even with a jet ski). Waves don't effect a ski boat near as much as a boat with a mast and things that move around (like sails and booms). If they have to, ski boaters just power through any waves. Personally, I attribute most of it to ignorance, not lack of caring.

Darick_Anderson

Wow Brit, I'm glad the sheriff was there to keep you from killin those guys, could have been a mess. Confusedhock:

AND, YEA! power boaters are discourtious, dangerous and a dambed stupid people! jet skiers too :evil: I always get circled by someone looking at Nimbus. Then grab the rails and wait out the ruckus. I'm thinkin a nice cannon on deck would fix the problem HE HE HE :twisted: OR...Maybe a Harpoon Confusedhock:

I'll stick to the colder lakes where these punks don't hang out, way less stress. Big Grin
Quote:Wow Brit, I'm glad the sheriff was there to keep you from killin those guys, could have been a mess. Confusedhock:

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the guy approaching me was about 300-350 polynesian gentleman. It could have been quite financially rewarding, however, had he done anything :twisted:

I don't blame powerboaters for their ignorance as far as sailboats (or other vessels) go. There really should be more required to license a boat than a fat wallet or good credit score. There should be some education required, with a test that needs to be passed. There should be some ENFORCEMENT of current boating laws, for other than revenue enrichment. But more important, just some common courtesy. I will not go back to Pineview. Not because of the powerboat problem, there will be other non-holiday weekends that will be much better, I'm sure. But because of the lack of capable law enforcement, or the lackidaisical approach the ofiicers have to their jobs. What would have happened had one of those wakes damaged my boat? Who would have responded?

aDLa:

The wakes that crashed over the bow of my boat were avoided in most instances by hitting them at an angle. When confronted head-on, my boat dove to the lull betweeen the waves, but did not rise as fast, burying the bow into the next wave. I found that the sole in the cockpit does not take much water to be filled :lol:

I saw the officer at Yuba as well. I wondered why he was there Sunday afternoon, as everyone was leaving, instead of Friday night or Saturday morning, when he could have maybe PREVENTED something....
to quote Nelson "never mind manuvers, go straight at em."

it is also a good thing to know the laws better than the ones trying to enforce them, that way you can tell them how to do their jobs... Cops really like that :twisted:

i do believe that (at least here in AZ) if a boater damages another boat they are responsable, this is not limited to class or type of boat... but how is a sinking sailboat going to catch a runaway powerboater?
A 12 Ga. with 00 buck ought to do it.
With less than two weeks left, I expected more chatter here.... :?

Is everything going per plan on everyone's part?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12