BYYB Forums

Full Version: My Skipjack Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
im no expert, but if it was me, id take a olfa knife and cut away anything that looks like there is an air space behind it, and re fill with epoxy
Looks like the cloth floated to me,But excellent job anyway and quick too  Big Grin
Weekly update for 6/28/15 through 7/5/15

Building hours:  5.5
Shopping hours:  .25
Money Spent:  $5.39  (Red Scotchbrite pads)

In spite of the 95 degree heat I went ahead and did some work on Sunday.  Ripped, sanded, routed and predrilled the rail trim.  Photo shows test fit.  The weather is supposed to start cooling down for a few days later this week, so maybe I'll be able to do more.

[Image: 8Rg2I4z.jpg]
I know that this might sound unreasonable but, the summer is slipping away, so maybe you could get up at 3 or 4 in the morning and work on the boat while it is still cool as it is going to get that day.  I have done this with a number of the projects that I have done and it works quite well.  As a matter of fact, this week I have to glass the standup paddle board I am making for the wife so I will be doing that before sun up to keep the goo from cooking off too quickly.  Also, I really hate sweating on my tools.  I have noticed that Paul sends many of his posts to this board at omygawd thirty, so I can only surmise that he is working before it gets too hot down in Florida. 

Keep up the nice work. I can't wait to see the end result.

Al
Al,
Thanks for the advice but that generally won't work for me.  I get up at 4:45 to get ready for work, and on weekends the power tools would wake up family and neighbors.  And speaking of neighbors, at least one has requested that the noise cease by 8:00 PM (I suspect it's the one with young children whom I expect have early bedtimes.)  Anonymous note on the door (cowards).
you have my complete sympathy.  I can go outside and just look at stuff and start sweating.  With all the afternoon storms it's like being in a sauna when going outside.  My strategy towards the end was work 20 minutes and go inside and sit in front of a fan with a glass of water and crushed ice.  Even still it takes a toll on the body and everything seems to take longer.
Yeah, I hear you. 

One of the projects I did in the wee hours was the body work I needed to do to get my motorhome on the road.  I did most of my work between 2.00 am and sun up.  I was happily pounding away on sheet metal with no thought for the noise until I was told about it.  OOOOPs!  Fortunately I was working in my pole building so all I had to do was shut the door. 

Soon you will be working on rigging and finishing which shouldn't involve too much noise.  That part of the build took a long time for me, but was very satisfying and quiet except for all the cussing. 

Enjoy your build

Al
Way to go man lookin great
Update for 7/6/2015 through 7/19/2015

Hours worked:  30.0
Hours shopping:  3.75
Money spent:  $129.43
(Hardware, tools, glue, misc. supplies)

Well, I didn't get much done during the heat wave so I skipped a week of reporting.  This report is for the last two weeks.  I worked mainly on the trim and coaming, both of which are mostly done.  I still need to figure out the front curve behind the coaming though.

I decided to do the rear portion of the trim in thin strips to make curve easier and fair.  Here's the first one being clamped and screwed in place.  The little blocks help push down the strip without making a visible hole.  The last one though I had to use nails through the strip because it has a curved edge and I didn't want to put holes in the adjacent decking.  The side strip sits proud so that I'd have something to clamp the strips to, as well as eliminating the need for one of the strips.

[Image: uBfjoqh.jpg]

All the strips laminated in place.

[Image: mG9He1t.jpg]

Cleaned up, sanded and routed.

[Image: ouOcGBi.jpg]

[Image: YAeRu8q.jpg]

The front trim had less of a curve so I was able to glue a single piece on each side, without any screws or nails.  Just tape and clamps to hold them in place while the glue set.  The little bits of blue tape in the photo mark where there are screw heads under the trim, being placed adjacent.

[Image: IblWGgp.jpg]

The coaming took some figuring out, considering I'd never made one like this before, and couldn't find any instructions on how to make the cuts.  But it turned out all right.  It covers the seam between the two pieces of plywood such that the whole deck appears to be made from one piece.  Note the drain gap between the front trim and the coaming.  This is why I originally cut the plywood with a little tab at this location, making a transition joint here.  This way no plywood edge is exposed.

[Image: UwDT2or.jpg]

I wanted nice clean edges to the hole where the mast post is inserted.  This four-piece laminated block has a perfectly square 3" x 3" hole.  The mast box is slightly smaller so some trim work will need to be done to the mast post.
[Image: eNwisho.jpg]

It's 98 degrees right now, so no more work today.  The forecast is for cooler weather in the coming week, so hopefully I'll be able to finish the trim and maybe make the six cleats I'll need to install after varnish.
I like that  idea of channeling water off the foredeck off to the sides.  I may add something like that to my boat if I ever get the paperwork from the state and get it wet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16