BYYB Forums

Full Version: My Skipjack Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(06-28-2017, 08:32 AM)Paul Riccelli Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of well thought through details. Very nice.

Thanks.  Many of the ideas came to me with the help of the folks at Fisheries Supply.  Others took the 2 1/2 years of off-and-on build time to figure out on my own.  I owe the pivoting rudder idea to Glen-L Marine.

(RIP Glen L. Witt, 98 years old when he passed away recently.)
Nice work! Everything looks great.
Well it seems Photobucket is committing corporate suicide by suddenly shafting all it's users without warning. Accounts using third party hosting to show their photos on forums such as this one are being held hostage to a $400.00 annual fee. All third party hosting was suddenly blocked at the beginning of July unless this fee is paid. Well, Photobucket can take its ransom demand and stick it where it fits! I'm in the process of uploading my photos to Imgur as a replacement for Photobucket. I'll be repairing my forum posts starting with this thread. But the damage will never be fully repaired because I have photos posted in forums all over the web and there's no way I'll ever remember them all or find them all to fix them. The major ones I'm targeting will take a lot of time to fix as it is.
(07-08-2017, 09:49 AM)Mark Shank Wrote: [ -> ]Well it seems Photobucket is committing corporate suicide by suddenly shafting all it's users without warning.  Accounts using third party hosting to show their photos on forums such as this one are being held hostage to a $400.00 annual fee.  All third party hosting was suddenly blocked at the beginning of July unless this fee is paid.  Well, Photobucket can take its ransom demand and stick it where it fits!  I'm in the process of uploading my photos to Imgur as a replacement for Photobucket.  I'll be repairing my forum posts starting with this thread.  But the damage will never be fully repaired because I have photos posted in forums all over the web and there's no way I'll ever remember them all or find them all to fix them.  The major ones I'm targeting will take a lot of time to fix as it is.

cheaper to set up your own domain and host your own photos.  I did that for years and then it got easier to post crap on youtube
(07-08-2017, 06:57 PM)susan reese Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-08-2017, 09:49 AM)Mark Shank Wrote: [ -> ]Well it seems Photobucket is committing corporate suicide by suddenly shafting all it's users without warning.  Accounts using third party hosting to show their photos on forums such as this one are being held hostage to a $400.00 annual fee.  All third party hosting was suddenly blocked at the beginning of July unless this fee is paid.  Well, Photobucket can take its ransom demand and stick it where it fits!  I'm in the process of uploading my photos to Imgur as a replacement for Photobucket.  I'll be repairing my forum posts starting with this thread.  But the damage will never be fully repaired because I have photos posted in forums all over the web and there's no way I'll ever remember them all or find them all to fix them.  The major ones I'm targeting will take a lot of time to fix as it is.

cheaper to set up your own domain and host your own photos.  I did that for years and then it got easier to post crap on youtube

Well, Imgur is free for now, and all set up.  So that's the easiest and fastest and cheapest solution for the time being.  Today I finally got this entire thread fixed so all the photos should be back up.
Thanks Mark . . .
I decided to install a sail track and change the gaff to one with a track slider goose neck instead of jaws.  Some photos of the change:

The main sail is nice and close and even along the mast now.
[Image: Pt2maNP.jpg]

This slider is covering where two pieces of sail track come together when the mast is raised.
[Image: YDFoOpH.jpg]

Another view.  Pretty well aligned but the gaff slider has trouble getting through this joint.
[Image: FhdRzuX.jpg]

Here you can see the alteration to the gaff.  the jaws are gone, replaced by a goose neck slider.  The little black knob is a set screw that I can tighten down to keep the gaff from coming up when the mast is lowered.  But I don't think I really need that.  I had to lower the boom gooseneck a few inches in order to be able to get all the sliders below the upper track.
[Image: iKoSve7.jpg]

Here's a better view of the sail flaked down and the sliders stacked in their down position.  The small sliders slide easily, the gaff slider is more temperamental.
[Image: CiieGSN.jpg]

Finally, here's the boom crutch all varnished, padded and leathered.
[Image: O8wjwIP.jpg]
There's some little tricks to make the external style track work better. First is any butting sections of track, should have a pan head screw placed directly between the two sections of track. This means notching a 1/2 a hole for the fastener on the edge, but a few quick swipes with a small round file gets this done. This keeps the ends of the tracks aligned. Another tip is to round over the edges where adjoining tracks meet (butt). This allows the slide to make the transition more easily, without hanging up. Also with a hammer and a screw driver, you can physically align the raised edges of the butting track sections. This is the most common thing that will "hang" a hoist, because the slide can't work its way over the next section of track. Also consider either drilling some counter sinks in the track (a bitch in stainless) for the flat heads or switch to pan heads. Lastly, the gooseneck fitting needs to have motion in all three axis or it'll tear the track off in high winds. Most goosenecks allow up/down and side to side, but also need rotational movement.

It's very nice to see the lovely work you've put into this boat Mark. The finishes and modifications are all well executed and show the level of care, only a home built boat can afford. You have much to be quite proud of there my friend.
(07-22-2017, 03:57 PM)Paul Riccelli Wrote: [ -> ]There's some little tricks to make the external style track work better. First is any butting sections of track, should have a pan head screw placed directly between the two sections of track. This means notching a 1/2 a hole for the fastener on the edge, but a few quick swipes with a small round file gets this done. This keeps the ends of the tracks aligned. Another tip is to round over the edges where adjoining tracks meet (butt). This allows the slide to make the transition more easily, without hanging up. Also with a hammer and a screw driver, you can physically align the raised edges of the butting track sections. This is the most common thing that will "hang" a hoist, because the slide can't work its way over the next section of track. Also consider either drilling some counter sinks in the track (a bitch in stainless) for the flat heads or switch to pan heads. Lastly, the gooseneck fitting needs to have motion in all three axis or it'll tear the track off in high winds. Most goosenecks allow up/down and side to side, but also need rotational movement.

It's very nice to see the lovely work you've put into this boat Mark. The finishes and modifications are all well executed and show the level of care, only a home built boat can afford. You have much to be quite proud of there my friend.

Thanks for your comments Paul.  I tried pan head screws first and the gaff goose neck was getting caught on them because the heads were too big.  So I got a 1/4" countersink bit, countersunk the track's holes on my drill press, and used flat head screws.  I can't put a pan head screw (even a smaller one) between the two tracks. This is the point where the mast hinges at the tabernacle.  That's why I'm using two pieces of track in the first place.  I'll try filing off a tiny bit of the corners of the tracks where they meet to see if that helps.  I can't do anything about the third axis but I don't think I'll be brave enough to take it out in high winds anyway.  My first time out we had only light winds and I still capsized and turned turtle.  Probably due to my inexperience and the trouble I was having with the laces.  The track works much better.  I took it out today but couldn't find any wind so it was a short time out.  But I discovered I can use my rudder as a sculling oar with it set part way up on its uphaul.
Nice winds on Lake Washington yesterday, about 8-12 knots.  Took her out with full jib and reefed main.  I discovered that this gives the boat lee helm and I couldn’t tack.  Had to jibe and round up instead.  Next time I sail reefed I’ll leave off the jib.

After the capsize and turtling incident a few weeks ago before I changed to sail track, I find I'm sailing more cautiously too.  But I'm more prepared, with a bailing bucket on board now.  Not that it would help much probably, with all the chop and wake typical of a busy boating day on Lake Washington.

I’m starting to hate my local boat launch though.  It’s not protected at all from the chop and wake.  When I single hand there’s no one to hold it off the dock when I go to park or retrieve my truck so the gunnel gets pretty beat up.  Maybe bigger fenders would help.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16