BYYB Forums

Full Version: My Skipjack Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(03-23-2015, 09:16 AM)Will Riddle link Wrote: [ -> ]Holy Cow Mark, You are making some great progress !!  You will be sailing her in no time!!  Do you plan to fiberglas the hull?

Regards,

Will

Thanks Will.
I'm planning to fiberglass the deck with a 3 oz. "surfacing veil" fiberglass cloth and finish it bright.  the sole will get 6 oz. cloth, and the exterior hull will also get 6 oz. cloth.  I'm hoping to launch her by June 1st.  One of the reasons I chose this design was that I thought I could meet this target.
Weekly update for 3/23/2015 through 3/29/2015.

Work on boat:  22 hours
Shopping: 1 hour

Money spent: $40.44
(Deck plates and hardware)

This week's work consisted of sanding, dismantling failed bench, applying penetrating epoxy (S-1) to deck and sole, fabricate new benches (using Okoume this time), fabricate new bench supports (the front ones I did three times before I was satisfied), apply fiberglass cloth to floor and lazarette bulkhead, installed bench supports.

The items I switched from Marante to Okoume I could really notice the weight difference.  The Okoume is remarkably lighter, and easier to work with.

I decided to do something different with the bench backrests.  Instead of cubbyholes, I'm going to fill the spaces with pour in place foam.  The front two feet of both benches will have waterproof compartments, accessed at the front bench support through deck plates.  There are a few reasons for this.  Some of the rigging will be installed to the deck a little ways aft of the front bench support.  So I need access to that area.  This will provide both storage that would otherwise be provided by the cubbyholes shown in the plans, and double as additional flotation when the deck plate is closed.

With the pour in place foam behind the benches, the waterproof compartments, and Styrofoam in the bow compartment, I should end up with approximately 8 cubic feet of flotation.  That will provide nearly 500 pounds of buoyancy.  Plenty for a boat this size.

Here are the deck plates positioned on the front bench supports.

[Image: 4ng3k0j.jpg]

All bench supports installed, benches test fit in place.  Floor is fiberglassed.

[Image: RSvBRpX.jpg]

The floor looks pretty good as it is.  I'm debating whether to leave it like it is, or paint it.  The cloth gives the floor a texture that might work as anti-skid.  But paint might fill it in so I don't know.  I like the wood grain but not the filled screw heads.  Application of the fiberglass used about 44 oz. of epoxy mixture.
Wow! Looks great. Good idea to close in the seat backs, the access ports should work well. I closed mine in and was able to jam 6-7 six foot pool noodles behind each seat back, lots of floatations in a area that would be wasted space otherwise. Using those as cubbies just invites a bunch of crap to rattle around
Weekly update for 3/30/2015 through 4/5/2015

Hours building: 14.5
Hours shopping: 0.5

Money spent:  $47.66  (miscellaneous supplies)

Work consisted of sanding, Filet backs of bench supports to interior hull sides with wood flour thickened epoxy, coat bench supports and underside of benches with epoxy, attach stringers to benches, permanent installation of benches.

Here's the installed benches:

[Image: LosfNaa.jpg]

I still need to fabricate the aft bench support piece, the one the hangs on the middle of the lazarette bulkhead.  So the aft ends of benches are hanging in mid-air presently.
Weekly update for 4/6/2015 through 4/12/2015

Building:  25.75 hours
Shopping:  3 hours

Money spent: $168.82
(Hardware, RO sander and sandpaper pads, box of nitrile gloves, foam, glue, mixing tubs.)

This week I finished installation of the benches (minus backrests), applied a coat of epoxy, fabricated and installed front seat ends, installed foam flotation, prepped for flip.

Mini bulkhead to create forward storage compartment and separate it from the foam.  Both compartments will be sealed.

[Image: JSMKr4u.jpg]

Rear bench support installed on lazarette bulkhead.

[Image: Ge9mFzA.jpg]

Front seat end.

[Image: rppA0Yu.jpg]

Test pour of foam.  This is the volume of foam I got from one ounce each of parts A and B.  Note also that the back of the seat panel is tabbed to the hull.  This will both seal the compartment and stiffen the hull.

[Image: ia7nNlX.jpg]

Flotation compartments filled with foam.  To completely fill these compartments took all of a one gallon kit of S-1 foam, my leftover Styrofoam pieces from the bow flotation, and three cans of  Great Stuff to top it off.  This combined with the bow flotation should provide at least 500 pounds of buoyancy.  The wood hull should provide some additional buoyancy as well.

[Image: Q3OYpUs.jpg]

Preparing to flip the boat upside down so I can work on the exterior hull.  Now I need to find about a half-dozen helpers to flip it.

[Image: 63wWqLw.jpg]

Mark,

Did you get your boat turned over?

Regards,

Will
Will,
Yes but it took until Thursday before I could round up the helpers.  I'll resume work on the boat this evening.
Weekly update for 4/13/15 through 4/19/2015

Hours building:  8.25
Hours shopping:  3

Money spent:  $89.44
(Title and registration for trailer, sanding belts, wood flour.)

Didn't get as much done this week because it took until Thursday to round up help for the flip, and I was also busy with some other stuff this weekend.  Managed to do the preliminary fairing, radius edges, sanding and filling to the hull.  Keel filets are about 1/3 done.

[Image: jFDLqE4.jpg]
Looking pretty sweet there Mark!  You sure do good work, I can't wait to see the finished product Smile .  Your build is inspirational to us who have just begun.  Maybe we can get a PNW fleet going, I know there are a couple other Stevensons Boats up here.  A couple finished and a couple in the works...

Regards,

Will
Thanks Will.
Yeah, we should sail our boats up to the Wooden Boat Show/Festival (whatever it's called) in Port Townsend.  (September, I think.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16