BYYB Forums

Full Version: My Skipjack Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(06-27-2017, 06:51 AM)Al Stead Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I tossed my rings is because they got caught on the mast hinge.  Look up Dutch lacing on Goo.  When I let my sail drop the lacing spreads out to clear anything that might catch on it, and vise versa when I haul it up.  It is a real pain to lace, but I only do it once a year.

Al

If it spreads when you lower your sail, how does the Dutch lacing perform when you reef?  Seems to me it would loosen up and let the sail come away from the mast a couple of inches.
When sail tracks were invented, they took the world's fleets by storm. No more jamming, no more playing with the tightness of the laces, no more clunky hoops, etc. There are two types, the external slide and the internal slide. The internal slide works best.

[Image: 20150612_170447.jpg]

On the left is the internal, the right an external track. About $4.35 per foot in 8' lengths for external, which can use plastic slides (quite, slide easily, etc.)

[Image: 20150612_170753.jpg]

Ronstan and others also sell track, but retail pricing of these seems way over the top at the usual locations.
I thought about a track but was worred about chafing the gaff jaws, or otherwise damaging either the gaff jaws or the track when reefed.  Isn't use of gaff or track incompatible with each other?
When I reef my dutch lacing pulls tight again above the reef cringle  when I haul the sail back up.  The laces below stay spread out just like dropping the sail.  In my case I make each lace an individual unit that is part of the whole. That is why it takes so long to lace it up in the spring. 

I sailed a pocketship last year that had sail tracks on the mast.  I don't know if it was rigged wrong or what, but the angle between the gaff and the mast where the jaws are was not able to be pulled tight and it sacrificed a good bit of sail shape.  One of the things that I like about how my sail is set up is that when the angle of attack changes the sail moves around the mast to match it.  I had no idea about that when I changed over to it, but it works real slick.  It is kind of like having a rotating mast.  I was a little taken aback by Bill Paxton's praise of Duckie's sailing qualities, but I have done a lot of things that may have made a noticeable difference.  My self vanging gaff may be one of the most important differences when on a reach, I don't know.  I do know that I am making better speed this year than I did before. 

Anyway, there are a lot of adjustments and modifications that you undoubtedly will make in the coming years.  Enjoy voyage of discovery.

Al
Nope, if you stop the track before it reaches where the jaws land, not an issue. In fact, you'll likely make a little ramp, just above the track, so the jaws can bounce over on the way down. I use to have a gaffer with a gaff that rode in the sail track along with the sail slides. Very easy to use, no jams, etc.
(06-27-2017, 06:03 PM)Paul Riccelli Wrote: [ -> ]I use to have a gaffer with a gaff that rode in the sail track along with the sail slides. Very easy to use, no jams, etc.

What a great idea.  I could eliminate the jaws altogether.  (Not the gaff, just the jaws.)
Here are some detail photos.

Rigging at top of mast.
[Image: Nt96ZqN.jpg]

Traveller, cleat and boom/mast crutch.  Crutch still needs to be sanded, varnished and padded.  Temporary pads are taped on.
[Image: gT063sr.jpg]

Lag screws hold the back of the bowsprit in place.  Couldn't use bolts because it's in front of the flotation bulkhead (not in plans).  A simple Velcro strap holds the club foot in place for trailering.
[Image: 763WcK5.jpg]

[Image: YVw9My9.jpg]

Aft end of club foot detail.
[Image: TColOV0.jpg]

Fore end of club foot.  I think this setup is way stronger than the setup shown in the plans, and looks way better too.
[Image: zU5uccM.jpg]

Fore end of bowsprit.
[Image: 4CuKZes.jpg]
More detail photos:

Dolphin Striker.  Simple rod set in hole in keelson, with hole for cable.  Clamps keep it from moving around.
[Image: GLN0Rpb.jpg]

Lower attachment point and trailer winch setup.
[Image: vSlpNKz.jpg]

Peak halyard.
[Image: sf0Zo8L.jpg]

[Image: ZDBeNUN.jpg]

Chain plate and turnbuckle.
[Image: jNFJUt0.jpg]

Crutch base detail.
[Image: XmHWOrQ.jpg]

[Image: bGHKKg4.jpg]

Quick release pin makes connection/disconnection of forestay a snap.
[Image: IDQOepk.jpgjpg]

Jaws leather screwed and glued.  Same leathering will be applied to boom crutch.
[Image: pKLz3dy.jpg]
Last batch of detail photos (for now):

Jib sheet
[Image: 9351p3E.jpg]

This gizmo makes handling the main sheet super easy.  It's positioned at about the halfway point on the boom, which puts both the tiller and main sheet within easy reach at the same time.
[Image: tVq515l.jpg]

Traveler setup
[Image: m7vIeUh.jpg]

Here's how I rigged the rudder uphaul.  Rudder is weighted so no need for a downhaul.  A downhaul would defeat the purpose of a pivoting rudder in my opinion.
[Image: w6BXoDX.jpg]

[Image: qGGJaeX.jpg]

This little spring tab prevents the rudder pintles from accidentally popping out of the gudgeons.
[Image: MvTjgzA.jpg]

The whole rudder assembly
[Image: PZbuWVI.jpg]

The goose neck
[Image: 1nIyhB8.jpg]

A shameless plug for the sail maker.
[Image: E0BpZh3.jpg]
Lots of well thought through details. Very nice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16