BYYB Forums

Full Version: Active Builders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Tell us about your build and of course we all love photos.  Especially in the wintertime.  I just started a Spindrift 10n tender and am helping Bill olney with his Ellen. What are you guys and gals doing?
I'm building a Stevenson Weekender with a Paul Riccelli-designed keel and stem, plus several other non-plans features.  Progress as of today (12-3-11):  The hull does not yet have the sides on (the keel also will be added later).  She is on her building stand outside for the winter covered with a tarp being rained on at the moment (sniffle).  I'm planning on building sub-assemblies over the winter. 
I just started on an Amphora today. I had everything I needed for it in my garage or under the house, except a 10' fir 1X4. So I'm liberating the rowboat hidden under my house!

Mike
I'm about 90% on a bateau CV16.  I have to get back out to work on the boat.  My expectation is that I will launch in the spring. 
i'm working on a super skipjack, but i'm stalled till spring. we have the 1st coat of paint on the hull, (most of its been sanded of making sure its as smooth as possible). so in the spring, we will final sand the hull, get it painted then flip the boat do some final prep in the cockpit, paint, build the mast / rudder and get it rigged. i think i need 2-3 weeks to get the rest done so we can get her in the water as soon as spring hits!
I've just started on the floor of my Vagabond 20.  I hope to be in the water by summer.
I am just putting on finishing touches on my 14 ft skiff built for my mothers Christmas present.  I am having a bear of a time deciding on which way to go on my boat but hope to have a decision made soon.  I have Stevenson's "vacationer" plans, Atkins "shoreliner" plans and Parker's "sharpie book". also looking at GlennL's "Fancy Free".  Just cant seem to find the "perfect" boat for me.........
Perfect boats are hard to find.  They usualy end up with a series of trade offs to get what you want/need.  Most of us end up modifing things to get as close towhat we want as possible.  Emain for more discussion.
I'm building a Bateau HB 20 Just moved it from my shop and it's at the mech. to have the motor controls and hydrolic steering installed. This houseboat will be to tow my Weekender  around San Francisco Bay and to overnight at the Giants ballpark and still go sailing after the game. Also it will be used as a committee boat for the Left Coast Cruisers. It has been 5 years  building this boat but also a great deal of fun. Will send pics soon. Warren
Greetings Craig,

(12-13-2011, 07:11 AM)Craig_Gleason link Wrote: [ -> ]Perfect boats are hard to find. 

Sounds like Warren might have found a solution to the perfect boat problem. You just need more than one boat, where each boat was designed for a specific task !!! Smile

Greetings Warren

So will we see your Weekender hove-to just outside the stadium using that big gaff main as a mitt to haul in the home runs?

Maybe with a big red target painted on the sail? That would get you on television for sure. Smile

Which brings up an interesting question. Would your Weekender as a sailboat have the right of way over all of those kayaks who sit out in the bay waiting for fly balls? You are a "sail boat" under the rules when you are using just your sails, but they are not "power-driven" as there is no machinery on board. Hmm. Would their maneuverability make it their responsibility to keep clear of you? You clearly win under the "tonnage" rules.

Cheers,
Tom
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5