BYYB Forums

Full Version: Active Builders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
That is the only answer Tom.  Can't have too many boats, just ask Mark.  Bill has a Pearson Electra  that we are taking to Beer next sumer.  Heavy SOB with about a 5' draft.  She will be left in Fort Walton beach for sale after the BEER.  I have a SD10N on the ways to act as a tender.  It is hard to handle all those flapping planks working alone.  I will need it for the Saralee II too as I don't think I want to beach a sail drive.  The electra still needs the running rigging finsihed up, cletes , blocks etc.  She is sailable but you get tired of holding the sheets.  BIll has an Ellen 12 on the molds.  First lap strake for both of us so it is lots of fun building.  She is going to  be a beauty.  Just the ticket for Scotts Fl200, Boots etc..  I haven't done much since I sold the Saralee after I got sick but have most fof my strength back now so I am ready to go.  I am anxious to start on the SLII but that depends on how much house building I have to do once we get home.  Where do yu keep you boat that you can sail Christmas day?  Trailer.  I think it was you said that.  My brother has to pull his boat out for storage at Michigan City by late Oct.
(12-14-2011, 05:28 AM)tombayus link Wrote: [ -> ]Which brings up an interesting question. Would your Weekender as a sailboat have the right of way over all of those kayaks who sit out in the bay waiting for fly balls? You are a "sail boat" under the rules when you are using just your sails, but they are not "power-driven" as there is no machinery on board. Hmm. Would their maneuverability make it their responsibility to keep clear of you? You clearly win under the "tonnage" rules.

I have been sailing on an old gaff ketch, and the way the law is read on her deck, it is that wooden ships give way to metal ships, plastic boats give way to wooden ships, and nobody gives way to anything much smaller than itself. It may not be what the book says, but works pretty well in Danish waters, when you are on board a moderately large wooden ship.
(12-14-2011, 07:34 AM)Craig_Gleason link Wrote: [ -> ]Where do you keep your boat that you can sail Christmas day?  Trailer?  I think it was you said that.  My brother has to pull his boat out for storage at Michigan City by late Oct.

Greetings Craig,

No, it was Paul who said he sails on Christmas day. But I won't believe it until I see a photo of him on the water grinning and wearing a red santa clause hat.

Yes, the official "got to have your boat out of the water" day on Lake Michigan is generally the 1[sup]st[/sup] of November. This is more for the safety of the men hauling the boats than to beat the ice. They pull the boats using cranes and travel lifts, power wash the bottoms, set them in their cradles, and then pack them tightly in the yard to be shrunk-wrapped for the winter. The lucky boats with well-to-do owners go inside. I sometimes eat lunch at the yard in Waukegan to watch the progress. It takes a good 6 weeks to empty the marina, and about 90% make it out on time. But their are always stragglers, either because the owners are slow, or because bad weather delayed the lifting schedule.

All of the local guys I have sailed with are trailer sailers who own Hobie cats, Compac Yachts, Mutineers, Buccaneers, Lasers, Lightnings, various Sunfishes, a West Wight Potter, a Paceship, and a Bolger Schooner. Most of those will fit in a garage. The rest winter under tarps in the back yard.

Cheers,
Tom
There are many guidelines and supposed rules for us to follow,  however in reality, if you as a "prudent" mariner could have avoided an incident and did not, you are at fault...
(12-19-2011, 02:41 PM)Matt Cook link Wrote: [ -> ]There are many guidelines and supposed rules for us to follow,  however in reality, if you as a "prudent" mariner could have avoided an incident and did not, you are at fault...

Or, as they say, a good skipper can get his boat out of a situation an excellent skipper would not have ended up in.
I don't wear a Santa hat, but very often I have one of my knitted watch caps, because it's usually fairly brisk on Christmas day. This year it's predicted to be near 80, so I'll just be wearing my organic yarmulke (bald spot). December is the coldest month of the year down here.
H e he he, watch the boats go CRUNCH! Many sailors like to test the supposed "RULES OF THE WATERWAYS" and many of them lose their boats and or their lives. it is not as you have heard. You do not have any right of way in any commercial channel on our planet. Sailing on San Francisco Bay is a real good way to test those rules, if the blast of the horn doesn't stop you the size of the ship will certainly square your jaw up as you realize it's as bad as a train and takes 1-1/2 miles to stop. As for my HB 20 "Fogbender" we will be very respectful of the ships at sea. I'm getting pretty excited about the launch. It's going to set in the marina about 3 miles from my shop and will be a 2nd bedroom on the water. We live 20 miles north of Petaluma in Santa Rosa so many times we will stay in the marina instead of going home. 
I am building two boats...A Weekender...and a PDR...

Here is a link to lots of photos on my woodworking page...I am now moving a long...and came on tonight to ask a question about the steering compartment...since I will NOT use a steering wheel I want to know if I can push the lazarette back...to give a little more room in the cockpit...

Here is the link to the weekender photos and blog:

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/27132

Here is the link to the PDR blog (but since Warren berates me I have been working hard on the weekender).

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/26913

Matt
(01-04-2012, 03:10 PM)warren percell link Wrote: [ -> ]He he he, watch the boats go CRUNCH!

Greetings all,

I was chuckling when I read Warren's response. There are some waterways that are so badly designed or that pass through some natural obstruction that they are dangerous just because they exist and idiots use them.

One of my favorites is in Minocqua Wisconsin where the Hiawatha bike trail passes over a narrowing of Lake Minocqua.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45+52'14.3...48.68”+W

The bridge is a wooden trestle and the channel passes through a single opening between supports. The rest of the openings are blocked by cross members that are either just above or just below the water depending on lake height. The channel requires a forty five degree turn directly under the bridge and vision is somewhat restricted. The good news is that a no-wake zone slows boat speeds down. The bad news is that slow boats don't always turn well, especially when the boat is a rental pontoon and the skipper and his party are actually partying. The idiots on PWC sometimes ignore the no-wake rule and blast under the bridge through the other openings only to discover too late that there is a wooden plank in the way. Oops.

Whenever we are passing through that part of Wisconsin, we make sure we pick up a picknic lunch at Lulu's (best deli in the Northwoods) and then park at the launch ramp near the Thirsty Whale at the exact coordinates of the above link and watch the near misses for entertainment. We have never been disappointed. There is a street level view available at the above google maps link so you can see the bridge from the south end. Somebody ought to set up a permanent web camera there for entertainment purposes.

Do any of the rest of you have any favorite boat watching locations?

Cheers,
Tom

We are designing an 18 foot version of our beloved double ender lee boarder we used for over 20 years. The original was 15 feet without a cabin, a joy to sail.  This one will have a small sleeping cabin but the cockpit will be used for cooking etc..  Construction should start this fall for launch spring of 2013.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5