BYYB Forums

Full Version: building Autumn Leaves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
A common source for lead used to be used counterweights at tire shops.  In Washington state these were recently banned so they're no longer available.  I don't know what material is used now.  Maybe you can still find lead counterweights in your area?
Many states have switched over to zinc wheel weights, but this is still an easily melted metal, that's fairly dense. Look for large truck shops (big rigs) as these typically don't make this regulation level, so lead wheel weights are available. Also check junk yards for lead shielded wire. This is another common way to get "dirty" lead. Of course, you'll need to strip the wire out, but this can be recycled too. Also gun ranges routinely pull the rounds out the their back stops, which may be earth, wood or metal. They resell it as dirty lead.
I've been doing the big easy parts because I am getting tired of breathing dust for now.  On this build I am doing enough things differently that I am taking plenty of time to plan out what to do next and how to do it.  As I add parts to the structure, future shapes and methods present themselves, so it pays me to only dry fit the pieces until I get a few steps ahead. 

So far I have glued down and glassed the shelf that lives below the stern deck, but have not painted it yet, or mounted the deck plate.  I hadn't intended to glass this piece, but it will be an exterior piece that water could sit on for extended time.  Because of that I made it equal to the decks.  I won't glass the sides of the hull inside this cubby though.  They will get plenty of topside paint, so as long as they aren't under water repeatedly or for a long time, they should be okay.  I will also drill out a couple scuppers to drain it in case standing water should get in there.

Last night and today I scarfed, cut and fit the other coaming/cabin side.  I had the first piece fitted to both sides of the boat, so all I had to do was trace that on the new plank and cut and plane to fit.  For some reason the new one doesn't want to set square to the deck, so I have to monkey around with that a bit more.  Once I  got both coamings in place with a piece mounted across the stern deck up against the tabernacle, I was able to see the true volume of the cockpit.  It ain't big, and I like that.  There is just enough room for two people to sit facing each other up against the cabin, but it would be cozy.  Even by myself it is going to be snug.  I am still going to double up the coamings in the cockpit because I tend to hang on them and jump around on them like a monkey bar.   However, I am considering leaving the bottom of the coamings open as per the plan.  I don't know.   

I failed to consider the differences that using 1/4 inch ply instead of 3/8 would cause, so the dimensions of the cabin box are a bit off.  Its nothing to get excited about, but I want to get everything nice and even with the coamings taking a nice curve, so this might take some time.  The only big plywood panel left to add is the cabin roof.  The darn thing is 49 by 49 so no matter what I can't get it out of one piece of ply.  I am going to have to scarf it down the middle.  I'll probably use a Payson scarf for this little joint, though I don't know where I will be able to accomplish it on my little benches. 

John Harris mentioned in one of his articles about Autumn Leaves that the topsides should be attractive enough to quiet her detractors who can't stand her hull sides.  I think he has something there.  Now that I have the biggest parts on, I am getting more and more pleased with her looks.  I am not going to dress Indie up this year because I don't know what the summer will bring.  Instead, I am going to get her on the water as much as I can and take her measure.  After that I will go full on yachtifying her.  She is going to be a pip. 

The pics are, boat building in Duluth, and two pics of her best angles.

Al
looks amazing really looking forward to the end result, nice work!
its minus 900 here in calgary, i feel your pain
It was about 80 on Christmas eve, but is now dropping to normal in the low 70's for the new year. I always have a bit of envy for those that can get so much done, in the temperatures you have to endure. Maybe we're just more lazy that you all in the more northern latitudes.
When it comes to epoxy,  I have it made.  I always use fast hardener but I have plenty of time to play around with it.  The pot life isn't any better, but once it is on the boat, I don't have to rush.  Being able to mess around with the temperature in the shop is a luxury.  On any given day, it could be 50 degrees to 85 in there depending on what I am doing.  It has been below zero since Christmas eve, and it looks like it will stay that way for at least another week if not more.  It is a by gosh old fashioned cold snap.  I love it! 

Today I am going to look at a trailer for the CY.  I found it on C list and it sounds like just the thing for this big ole boat.  I have been worrying about what I was going to do about a trailer, but if this works out, I am all set. 

Seriously, if it weren't for this boat build I would be bug eyed crazy bored by now.  Thank God for foolish hobbies.

Al
This is kind of funny.

Yesterday I went to look at a trailer for the CY.  I ended up buying it because I couldn't walk away.  The trailer is a shorelander with bunks rather than rollers and is set up for an eighteen foot fiberglass runabout inboard.  It is one heavy duty mama.  The guy I bought it from got two identical runabouts on trailers at an auction for eighty bucks a piece.  One boat had a blown motor, and the other was trashed,  but with a good motor.  He did the obvious and ended up with a trailer that he didn't need.  I got it for two fifty, so we both made out like bandits.  The trailer is in pretty good shape with a couple dings but good paint and running gear.  It needs new lights and wiring, but I have done all that before and have most of the stuff I need. 

I paid fifty bucks for the trailer beneath Duckie so the tradition lives on. 

Al
I find trailers all the time. There's also a reconditioning outfit near here I can get good parts at. My best deal was one for the 28' Chris Craft. Long and heavy, means you need a stout trailer, so the square tube ones are out, as they rust out from the inside. Needed brakes and a good length rig. I found a 25' tandem trailer, with structural C channel frame. It was designed for a deep V modern powerboat, but this works well, as the inboard Chris has a big 'ol skeg that sits nice in the deep V braces. I changed the bunks for teeter totter pads on stands, and added an extra centerline roller. Working hydraulic brakes, tall winch tower with two speed winch and this trailer is what I call a broken back, so you can slide the puppy in less than ideal ramps. With the boat on it, it's about a 35' long rig and I paid $1,000.

Trailers like you found I find for less than $500 and often in the $200 - $300 range. I've even bought whole rigs boat and all, just for the trailer and an odd piece of gear off the boat.
Things are coming along.

I only have one large part to add to the boat, and that is the cabin roof.  In the pics below, the roof that is shown is a template made out of pressed wood.  The roof will likely be the last part that I glue down because I am having trouble getting the five ply 1/4 inch  piece to take the bend.  To help persuade it into complying with me, I have hung it up in the barn from both ends with about 75 pounds of chain forcing the center down.  I will probably have to leave it there for at least a month.  Having the roof template in place has forced me to make up my mind about how I am going to have to bevel the stringers along the sides.  It also gives me a much better idea of what I can do with the interior.  It feels great to sit inside and know that I can spend some time in there.

Meanwhile, I am forging ahead with everything else. I enclosed the seat backs and doubled the thickness of he coamings at the same time.  The coamings are supposed to be 3/8's thick, but I didn't think that would be strong enough for me to jump on and generally abuse, not to mention mountng big oars on.  I also doubled up the thickness of the foredeck coamings for the same reason.  The cockpit has turned into a pretty deep bathtub.  I don't mind that though.  Unless I have a stroke at the tiller, I doubt that I will be able to take her over far enough to get any water in the cockpit.  I had to delete the coaming that goes across the stern of the boat, because it would have gotten in the way of the swing for the tabernacle.  Instead I will mount it in front of the tabernacle to act as the stop for the mizzen mast as well as a coaming.  Because of that, I freehanded a double curve into the aft end of the coaming which I think looks much better than the plan.  I wish I had something like that on Duckie. 

I finished the anchor well in the bow.  I didn't go nuts on the finish because it is only going to be filled with junk anyway.  I double glassed the bottom though because it is going to have hardware in there and I don't want to have to worry about it for a while.  When all is said and done, that little bugger was a lot of work. 

Indigo has taken on the look that she will have.  Outside of the prominent hatch cover, which I really like, she is what she will always be.  On the trailer she is going to be a real head turner, as in "what the heck is that".  But the more I think about it, I am really looking forward to what she might be able to do for me.  Standing in the cockpit I can appreciate that she is a proper little cruiser that can hold way more than I will likely ever need.  Sitting there I can almost feel her moving beneath me.  I can't wait to run her up on a nice beach somewhere and have her sit rock solid for me. 

Man, I gotta get out in the shop now.

Al
looks amazing Al! brings back bad dreams of filling. sanding, filling, sanding ....haha
can't wait to see her finished, it's a very cool design
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19