BYYB Forums

Full Version: building Autumn Leaves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Yep, mine did the exact same thing.  I believe that the Spanish windlass was the culprit.  I should have used two of them and placed them over the stringers rather than letting the one crush the plywood between them.  Also, placing two over the stringers, would have supported them when the pressure was applied.  I actually broke a couple of the stringers behind bulkhead 7.  I'm sure you saw the two places that I had to sand down to hide those messes.  It all turned out okay after I built up the interior side with glass and epoxy.

With your kit, I don't know if you will see this, but on my boat the curves  on both ends are not the same top to bottom or side to side.  I was aware that this might be an issue so it worked real hard to make everything match. Ultimately, they didn't but no one can tell.  That is one of the tenets of boat building. "work to the piece".  

As I wander around Indie now I can't see any of the "defects" even though I know where they all are.  I guess that is just amateur boat  building.  Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about not having a completely flat top to bottom line, but get it as close as you can until you get sick of messing with it.  You will get pretty good at fairing.

Now that Indie has been mostly assembled for over a year she has settled into a pretty sturdy boat.  I've been running around all over her and no problems.  Yesterday I mounted all the sticks in the positions that they will be while on the trailer.  There's a lot of lumber up there.  I discovered some issues with my design, but nothing that I can't deal with.  I'm not going to do too much with the cabin.  That can wait until I start camping in her.  I've been studying gaff rig issues and have made some firm decisions about her rigging which will probably consume most of my time between now and launch day.  That's alright because I like that part of building the most.

Al
You never end up noticing this stuff after you start sailing the boat.
(12-17-2018, 05:54 PM)Keith Shergold Wrote: [ -> ]You never end up noticing this stuff after you start sailing the boat.

Of course not. It's not a coffee table, it's just a wooden box that gets tossed in the water. But some instincts are hard to shake.
I hear ya Dave, I want mine to be a coffee table too.  But in the end it still knocked my friend over even though I screwed up so much.

Al
Well, I wanted my boat to look like a piano or coffee table, and I did my best (I think) but had to balance that against wanting to get it done. I have a love/hate relationship with building things: I build all my own things, but I am not sure I particularly like building. I just like the end result of owning things that I built. If my Dad for instance was willing to build them for me I'd be just as happy! So sometimes when there's a choice between functionality or going twice as far into true craftsmanship, I lean towards "functional" and justify it by saying a truly fine peice would get ruined in regular use anyway. It works most of the time. In my head I mean. There are some parts of my boat I wouldn't boast about, but I can't think if anything I'm actually ashamed of. Some of the things that were a truly bad job didn't last long and needed replacing after a few years, so most of my mistakes are gone or covered up by now anyway!
In my case, I am just too cheap to pay for what I want, so I  build it.  I have  built everything including my house and my dog sleds.  It really did pay off in the end because I came to love playing around in my shop.

Al
I had to get a new computer so right now I am screwing around with uploading pics to this board.  If it works out this is a pic of the lapper I made for my weekender some time ago..

Al
Didn't work.  I'll try again.
once more
I give up for now.  I used the same method I have  been using all along,  but when I post the reply the attachment goes away.  The method I have used was to browse for the attachment in my pictures folder and double click on the pic.  The address of the pic shows up in the attachment window, but as soon as I preview the post it disappears.  Same for if I post it.  I don't know if this is the result of my new machine, or the recent hack of the site.  It will be a shame if I can't post pics anymore because it is going to get interesting as time goes by.  Oh well.

Al
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19