BYYB Forums

Full Version: building Autumn Leaves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(07-30-2018, 12:01 PM)Al Stead Wrote: [ -> ]Yah know what?  I don't know.  If they don't set on their own, I will probably figure out some way to hold them down with a handle that I can set and lock lightly, or a downhaul.  What I'm not going to do is pull them back out just to put weights in them.  Now that would be a big job. 

I am painting them right now, so once that is done, they will be water tight.  At that time I will probably haul one down to the pond in my back yard and toss it in to see if it floats.  If it does, I will consult my helper to see if he thinks I should back up and weight them just to make sure.

Al

Al, I"m working on an Autumn Leaves kit now. I asked John about lead in the boards, and he said he prefers to use downhauls, and that's how he sees the bilgeboards being controlled. If you run a line from the top of the board back to a cleat on deck behind the CB slot, you should be able to pull the board down as far as it needs to go. (no need to put a block down in the case.)  I'm going this route on his advice, but I'm going to use a quick-release jam cleat so that if the board hits anything, the line will pop free. A second line needs to run forward to a turning block, of course, and then back to the cockpit. I figure on using a regular cleat for this

-Dave
About fifteen minutes after I wrote that last post, I remembered how the rudder is set up on my weekender and realized that would be the perfect down haul up haul arrangement for these boards.  I won't even give a moment to weight now.

Congratulations on choosing the kit.  You will save a ton of time and get better results than I will likely get. you are however going to spend most of your time dealing with bending stringers in two planes simultaneously, so figure out the best way for you to do that in your circumstances.  Looking back, I would have done it differently during my winter build.  I tried a lot of different methods and still didn't satisfy myself.  I am still not sure if I will be able to get this boat in the water this year.  I'll know a lot more in Oct. 

Al
Okay.

Anybody want to buy a boat?  I'm not kidding.  Best offer.  Just don't insult me too bad.  I need this thing gone as soon as possible.  I am going to put it on the trailer and haul it outside, then I am done with it.  If it isn't gone by the first snow I will take the chainsaw to it. 

I am offering it to those who followed this thread first and will only respond to replies to this  thread.  In a couple weeks I will offer it on the web at large if I get no offers.  Snow and it will be too late. 

Don't feel bad for me.  My circumstances won't let me finish it and there isn't anything more to it.  As you should have understood from this thread I had a ton of fun building her, so she doesn't owe me anything.  Please don't think to try to console me because I don't feel bad about this at all.

I will only respond to this thread.

Al
(08-24-2018, 05:53 AM)Al Stead Wrote: [ -> ]Okay.

Anybody want to buy a boat?  I'm not kidding.  Best offer.  Just don't insult me too bad.  I need this thing gone as soon as possible.  I am going to put it on the trailer and haul it outside, then I am done with it.  If it isn't gone by the first snow I will take the chainsaw to it. 

I am offering it to those who followed this thread first and will only respond to replies to this  thread.  In a couple weeks I will offer it on the web at large if I get no offers.  Snow and it will be too late. 

Don't feel bad for me.  My circumstances won't let me finish it and there isn't anything more to it.  As you should have understood from this thread I had a ton of fun building her, so she doesn't owe me anything.  Please don't think to try to console me because I don't feel bad about this at all.

I will only respond to this thread.

Al

Hello Al,

No worries about me insulting you, sir! I know what I want to say, but I won't. Respect. I am most certain you will find Indigo a new, loving home. However, if the stars align in such a fashion that you are priming the chainsaw, of which I completely doubt, please let me know and I will find a way to rescue her and teach my sons a thing or two, or three. My goatee is white & I know stuff... 

yar,
Paul.
The reason for the hard deadline is that I have nowhere to keep her this winter.  I need the shop room for other boats that need looking after.  I don't want to sit here all winter watching the snow piling up and in her while she rots, so vroom she goes. 

I figure this is the right thing to do and a pretty good deal to boot.  All she needs is sticks and fitting out to get under sail.  The trailer will  be done when it finally stops raining. 

Al
Hey Al, hope I'm not making a stupid suggestion here, but have you thought of getting in touch with CLC to see if they'd buy her? It is the prototype, after all, and the quality of your work would speak for itself as an example of what can be done by a good builder.

Hate to think of her meeting her end without getting wet. I consider "Ducky" and "Made Merry" to be sisters, 'cause they're probably the most-used Weekenders in the fleet. That makes Indie a cousin, at least. Wish I could make the trip and buy the boat. But gas alone from the NWT would cost more than the boat!
J Harris deleted his posts some time ago from this thread.  I think I will leave that one alone.

I am in the middle of trying to make a deal. We'll see how that goes. 

Al
Ya could have knocked me over with a sledge hammer.  While talking to SWMBO this morning she told me " Don't sell the boat." 
We knocked out a scheme to keep her indoors this winter, and that saved her life.  It was pressing on me that I don't have much time before the snow comes and does what snow does to unfinished wooden boats.  So, I'm pulling her off the market for the winter.  Who knows what will happen, but at least now she is safe. 

Al
Thanks goodness.
"All's well, ends well " For now at least. Best wishes Al, and looking forward to more of your posts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19