BYYB Forums

Full Version: Schooner build 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Paul, you are absolutely right about the chairs  ;D
They just happen to be there just like the other junk in the background. This room is next to my shop and actually not part of the lease but I am allowed to use it when more room is needed.
Among others, these pieces came out of those boards:
[Image: P1040764.JPG]

And here I am finishing the first mould:
[Image: P1040763.JPG]

As you can see, I had planned to use the router, but setting it was so much work that I decided to use hand plane. Hand saw and axe were also used at some stage when roughing some parts, but bandsaw was the main tool.

And here is the result, Station 1 mould ;D
[Image: P1040766.JPG]
Station 1 is just a touch forward of where the LWL starts on the hull. You can get a hint of the entry shape with this station and see that she will part the water, not bash her way through.
Here are the halves for station #4 on their way:
[Image: P1040767.JPG]

Actually this is a fake  Tongue

I had just replaced the blade and failed to tighten it properly so it dropped off the wheels! While the bandsaw was standing still I set up the camera on the stand and shoot this pic before reinstalling the blade. Actually it dropped a second time before I got it right.

I suppose it has been a too long time since I worked seriously in the workshop. Well, that is going to be corrected before the boat floats  ;D
That shop is way too clean for my liking. It's sort of like trusting a skinny cook.
"That shop is way too clean for my liking."

I am working to fix that  ;D
I have already started scattering the hand tools around insted of returning them to the shelves and the layer of chips and shavings on the floor is growing.
Hope to make some progress again tonight. I have finished five of the eight moulds.
See! Here is station 5 mould. I spent some time in th workshop today and made one more mould, now I have numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8 ready  8)

[Image: P1040775.JPG]
Timo, when you get the other two finished, stand them up and take a picture, so folks can get an idea of the shape of the boat.
I had a plan to hang them from the athwartships tie to see the shape right side up. My problem will be that the workshop is so small that I can´t step back to fit the thing in one picture. Maybe I will decrease the spacing of the stations??

If everything goes even nearly as planned I will have them finished during the weekend.
I had a just little time today after returning from work. But I started station 6.

I use the nail method to transfer the lines into the boards and I have a small piece of plywood to deduct the plank thickness from my lofted outside of planking line:
[Image: P1040777.JPG]

Spruce is so soft that almost all the nails stick after jumping on the blank:
[Image: P1040778.JPG]

Drawing the line using a thin batten and nails. No fairing needed at this phase, just duplicating the line from the lofting:
[Image: P1040779.JPG]

Since my bandsaw and especially the table is so small it is easier to disassemble the pieces and saw them separately. In a previous post I am showing how I saw the assmbled half but it turned out to be too awkward and actually slower. After sawing I assemble the halves back to back and finish them together with a handplane. That is where #6 is now.

To be continued tomorrow and hopefully finishing #7 as well  ;D

EDITED TO ADD: IF YOU ARE READING THE THREAD THROUGH, PLS SKIP PAGE 5 BECAUSE THERE IS A TECHNICAL PROBLEM. ALL THE MATERIAL HAS BEEN DUPLICATED AND THE STORY CONTINUES ON PAGE 6
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19