BYYB Forums

Full Version: Schooner build 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
I know, I feel bad for not reporting and not progressing with the build. There has been some turmoil in other fields of life AND the short finnish summer has finally kicked in and I have been enjoying it  ;D
Ah, summer.  113F here yesterday.  Playing hokie is authorized for the purpose of summer.  LIfe is short, eat the desert first!!  8) 8) 8)
We don´t have that kind of temperatures, but it has been around 90F for weeks, which is totally insane in this part of the world. According to the statistics this is the hottest Summer in 76 years!

If only I had the boat finished and available already . . .
90 in where you live Timo, I wouldn't have imagined that.

I have to admit, I've enjoyed our summer which in recent years has been ungodly warm and dry, but this year, slightly cooler then usual and more importantly less humidity then usual. As Craig can attest, Florida can get quite sticky and hot, but it's been fairly nice.

Of course now that I've mentioned this, all hell will break loose, a dozen hurricanes and record temperatures, just to teach me to keep my big mouth shut.

You'll get back to you project soon enough and global warming is a myth concocted by the radical pinko types. It's just a fad, that will hopefully wear off soon, say around winter time . . .
Now we are back to normal and I am back in business with the build  ;D The temperature is around 20C in the afternoon which is still above average in August, but very nice.

I managed to scavenge a truck load of timber that I planned to use as firewood. It turned out to be too good to be wasted so I am using it to replace the porch of the sauna, to build a new dock and use some of it for my boat.

[Image: P1050577.JPG]

The milling at the summer house is an interesting project, because there is no electricity. I am using a  borrowed genset and some tools from the workshop. I am clamping the planks to be ripped onto the 2 by 4 to the right and using a skilsaw. My cutting station is to the left. The dust removal is by Mother Nature´s eastern wind  Wink
[Image: P1050585.JPG]

Here is the pile that is going to be the masts of my schooner plus some 1by2 stock:
[Image: P1050578.JPG]

And here are the parts for the new floating dock:
[Image: P1050579.JPG]

But this is where I would have preferred being together with the guy who is sailing in the middle of the picture. This summer has been exceptional not only because of the temperature but also because of the higher than usual winds. Maybe I have to give a second thought to those reefing points that I had already discarded  ;D
[Image: P1050583.JPG]

Due to technical issues I will start a new thread to continue reporting my build.
Edited
SCHOONER BUILD 2 HAS BEEN STARTED AND PAGE 12 HAS BEEN COPIED THERE. PAGE 12 IS UNFUNCTIONAL, DON´T TRY TO CONTINUE THERE.
THIS LINK WILL TAKE YOU TO THE NEW THREAD:
http://byyb.org/forum/index.php?topic=2814.0
Reefing points are for smart sailors!!! dumb sailors get wet. Beautiful pics. Keep sending them.
Reef points are cheap insurance Timo. There's a lot of power in your rig, so reducing it occasionally is necessary.
Nice photos, Timo.  What species is the wood?  Looks like spruce.

Dave
It is pine (Pinus Sylvestris), the one we have a lot here in Finland and the one we use for almost everything. We call it just pine because it is the only species of the family that grows in Finland. All the other species are more or less garden trees here with their specific names.

I still doubt that I will ever need to reef more than striking the topsails. I mean never on my lakes. When I will eventually venture to the Baltic Sea I will definitely have reefing points.
We'd call that stuff Scot's pine or eastern white pine over here. Finish fir, Finish redwood and Polish redwood are popular names in Timo's area.

It looks a lot like Douglas fir, with dark amber grain lines, separated by yellow. It weighs about the same and has other similar attributes as well. It grows world wide, but north eastern and western Europe seem to enjoy most of it, though I suspect a lot could be found in Siberia and some is known in parts of Canada and upper new England. It doesn't seem to check like Douglas fir.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19