BYYB Forums

Full Version: Schooner build 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Nothing to post pictures about, but after returning from holiday in Germany I continued peeling the cable shields to prepare for the casting. Still no snow so I have a chance to cast this year.

And I sold my outboard so I have more than a Grand (euros, almost 2 Grand in USD!) to buy plywood and timber  ;D
Mine is a bit longer and a cutter rig Bud.  Still they go together the same way so I am very interested in Timo's build.  Lead casting is fun but you need to be careful.  Burning off the covering is not a good idea as you never know what is in it chemical wise.  Lots of PCPs and junk in that insulation.  I recommend wheel weights.  Not too much impurity and it is so much fun to see the steel clips float on top!!!
Craig, Timo's build is a glued lapstrake, you're thinking about another member's build. Bud, she'd be reasonably comparable to an Amigo (Glen-L) build if strip planked.

Craig, your boat is literally 3 times that of RYD-14.11, when you count what matters as opposed to length. If you count just length then your boat is half again longer (26' 7" on deck, close to 35' spar length).
Well that is a bit longer 8) 8) 8)
Paul it  don't make any differance how big he buidl it, that big trailor he had for Sara Lee should haul anything no bigger than 30". Just keep the draft as shallow as you can. I think I know where it will end up sailing. I don't want him to spend all his time kegging and trying to push it off those dam oyster beds. Bud Wink
Finished peeling the crap off the cable shields! Now I am ready to start figuring out the actual casting.

I think I will weld - well, have welded  8)- a pipe into one of the drums and use that as the melting vessel. I still have some time on me because the weather has been quite nice, only some showers of rain and very little snow and it has melted away immediately.

Right now I am 450 km away on a business trip typing in a hotel room, but I will be back home tomorrow and I will start building the mold and the pipes.
Started making sawdust on Tuesday night!

As usual when starting something, most of the time was spent looking for things and refurbishing tools. I had to manufacture some receiving supports for the tablesaw as well as a new quide for it. In the process I also refurbished a long forgotten screw driver because I couldn´t find the cordless drill Tongue

Is there a word in English for this kind of thing? In Finnish we call it a "pump driver"

[Image: P1040634.JPG]

But I managed to rip some stock for the ballast mould before I had to call it a day.
Pathetic, I think, but this is the result of the evening

[Image: P1040633.JPG]
Greetings Timo,

(11-05-2009, 01:02 AM)Timo Knuuttila link Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a word in English for this kind of thing? In Finnish we call it a "pump driver"

I have seen this called a Yankee Screwdriver, a Rotating Barrel Yankee Screwdriver, Spiral Ratcheting Yankee Screwdriver, etc.  I am not sure where the "Yankee" name came from, but Stanley tools had been making a "Yankee" type push screw driver for more than 100 years.

By the way, your command of the English Language is impressive, and you write better than a lot of the scaliwags who post messages here at the BYYB.

Smile

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks for the compliment, I am interested in languages, including my own (Finnish) and like comparing them and developing my skills.

What a funny coincidence: today after posting here I saw a thread on WoodenBoat forum about these screwdrivers and other old handtools from pre-cordless-drill era.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104841
Yes Tom. I am the # 1 scaliwage on these misspelled words, but some of us have not had the luxury of much education and are lucky even to be able to post even with the misspelling. A man with your knoledge will be able to figure it out if you pay attention. Bud.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19