BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pymatuning June
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Crew Stumpf will be residing at site 548 for CABBS week. Hope to see some folks there.

Jim
So, anyone else coming for sure? I'd like to know where everyone's staying in the campground or local hotels if possible. We're in 628, and Dawn's dad, Ron, is in 610.

Jim, is Joe going to be there? How about my knight in shining armor from last summer?
Hey Stuart,

Joe will be there from Monday through the second weekend he is on a differeny site, more on the lake side of the penisula rather than the lagoon, he is hopeing for less goose droppings this year.

If you are inquiring about Meg yes she will be along with Karen and Deanna. Between the two girls you should find some relief from the kids. Or were you talking about Geroge Rickets bearing repairman. I am not sure about him but will check.

I am certainly excite for Dawn and her proposed eye surgery. our wishes for the best possible out come are with you folks. I am amazed at what a responsible young man Devon has become at such a young age being mom's right hand man.

I will have the vacationer all ship shape and there in bristol fashion. The Kingston is comming along great I just came in from putting on the first coat of the bottom paint, it is looking pretty cool.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and to getting in some sailing.

Jim

Charles Goodall

Hello to all,
I am new to boat building and axious to get started. I am very interested in the Vacationer. Do you know of anyone in Indiana who has built a Vacationer or Weekender that I could talk with and possible see their boat?
Also, do you sail these at all in Lake Erie? Do they do ok in the chop or are these designs only good for much smaller bodies of water? I thin it would be gret to sail from Port Clinto to Put-in-Bay but maybe that is pushing it a bit. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bret
Hey Bret,

Good to hear from you. I don't know anyone from Indiana. Come visit us at Pymatuning and you could see a Vacationer and a Weekender side by side.

I have had my Vacationer on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. They are ok for short jaunts in good weather. One big problem on the big lakes are the number and size of power boats. The wakes from the power boats coming and going can create some pretty unnerveing wake and confused seas. Weather on Erie can change very quickly and I would not like to be far from port when a squal comes through. That being said I am toying with the idea of an over nighter to Kelly's Island. I bielieve that is about 6 miles off shore.

Large inland Lakes are the place that these boats are at home... Like Pymatuning. Maybe some of the bays off of the Great Lakes like Sandusky Bay/ Erie or Little Sodus Bay/ Ontario.

One Mans Oppinion

Jim
Quote:Hey Stuart,
If you are inquiring about Meg yes she will be along with Karen and Deanna. Between the two girls you should find some relief from the kids. Or were you talking about Geroge Rickets bearing repairman. I am not sure about him but will check.

Good to hear that the Vacationer will be ready, and that Joe will be along. I was referring to George. I still can't get over the fact that I made it home last year at all. The odds of someone having the parts I need lying around and handy had to be way out there, and then him being willing to help out for so long to get us back on the road. I sure hope he comes so we can thank him again!

Good to know that the family will be coming along. The kids sure to love your two. Do you know if Scott's coming solo or with the family?

Bring pics of your kingston if you can, from what I've seen so far, you're doing a fantastic job!
Hey Bret, if you're going to try the great lakes, you really need to look at a more expensive boat. Being flat bottomed, not self righting, not self bailing, and very light, these boats are more for inland lake use. One pair took out a weekender last year on lake Ontario and didn't make it back. The vacationer is probably your best bet if you really wanted to do that given the three poor choices, but inland lakes are really a ton of fun, and being a trailerable boat, you can explore many areas that the larger boats can't.

Changes I'd make to a Vacationer if I were going to intentionally hit the great lakes would be adding a raised cockpit floor sloping to the stern with a 1-way bailing valve so that it would help bail if you got water over the sides or stern, and go for a more watertight hatch both for the cabin and forepeak so that if you were knocked down it would reduce the amount of water you had to deal with. At 23 feet, I'm not sure how easy a Vacationer would be to right if it were capsized, since there's no self righting capability.

Once again, one mans opinion. I'm a rather conservative sailor to be sure.
I have reserved site 633 for the second weekend. See you folks there!
Scott, just you, the whole tribe, or some portion therein?
Just me. Case of divide and conquer in order to visit all of the folks we need to visit in the time available.
Pages: 1 2