BYYB Forums

Full Version: PAR's barndoor rudder design on Kingsfold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Paul said more than once that you, "build to the work." I've been doing that a lot on Kingsfold. A case in point is building and attaching the rudder from his fin keel modification plans.

During the dry-fitting process that I am in the middle of currently, I discovered that a lot of construction choices (and consequences) ganged up on me such that "real life" looks  quite different from the plans. See for yourself.

[attachment=1761]

Key to the letters in the photo
A - tiller extension and hardware
B - custom block to connect axe handle to tiller hinge
C - taff rail held in place by gravity
D - starboard "cheek"
    This is the optional longer version, which is shown elsewhere on the plans.
E - base for upper gudgeon necessitated by getting the transom angle (relative to the hull bottom) wrong
F - upper pintle
G - double-duty strip supports the back end of the sole plywood and encourages (in a small way) water to stay out in following-sea conditions
H - boarding ladder
I - area of the rudder that still needs to be shaped
J - structural mock-up of the skeg
K - lower gudgeon
L - spacer piece to maintain a constant distance between the skeg and rudder while mounting the rudder
M - PAR recommended I raise the aft sheer (on my boat specifically as one of several things to make it a bit more sea worthy), so I moved the deck up to the part of the transom that the plans suggest trimming off

There are more pictures on my blog http://kingsfoldtravelogues.com/
It all looks pretty good to me. I'm especially fascinated with this project because I undertook to go camp-cruising on Great Slave Lake this summer, and many friends foretold my death, but I did just fine.
Keith, we need to hear all about it.  Maybe a pic or two.

Al
Whatsthe purpose of the hole in the transom?
I see on your blog thats a self draining cockpit hole. I’m kinda suprised how large it is.
That is a BIG hole.....
(08-06-2018, 10:18 AM)Zommrindel Wrote: [ -> ]That is a BIG hole.....

I am building this boat specifically with a successful completion of the Race to Alaska in mind. https://r2ak.com/race-course/

The "big hole" is not without precedent in small boats that have finished the R2AK (see attached photos of a Seascape 18 and a Liteboat XP).

Team Kingsfold will be in open ocean conditions during the Race. Any big waves crashing into my cockpit I want out, immediately, no waiting to squeeze through a couple 2" holes. These photos give a taste of potential conditions.

For those builders who intend to sail only in the sorts of waters (and weather conditions) the Weekender was designed for, a self-draining cockpit is probably overkill. Raising up the floor/sole creates issues with sitting comfortably in the cockpit--a compromise I am very willing to make. And my build is essentially a working prototype, anyway, so... But keep checking my blog. I will definitely discuss my "big hole" once I have experience sailing in the sorts of conditions that warrant it.

[attachment=1762]
[attachment=1763]
The open-backed cockpit makes a lot of sense to me. I have noticed that when she's going fast, Weekender tucks her tail down and the waterline comes up to pretty close to where you've got the bottom of your cockpit sole. It won't slow you down, but get ready to see the sea sitting right at the bottom of the window, looking at you, when you're reaching.
I've sailed a lot on the west coast of Canada , I'd be nervous about that large an opening, although I understand you want water out fast if it gets in. what about a one way flap of some type?
just the standard armchair quarterbacking we all enjoy so much on this site haha
thanks for keeping us up to speed on your build, nice boat!
The only two problems I can see with this idea are getting comfortable with your feet in your chin, and losing something precious out the hole.  Otherwise I think it is a pretty good idea.  I would offer one idea though.  After all my experiences with my high coamings in rough weather, I would recommend considering getting more free board by adding them.  I once submarined my bow in some pretty high short waves.  Green water over the bow was cool.  Not a drop of water came in the cockpit.  It all ran back along my high coamings and shot out the stern like water jets.
Pages: 1 2