BYYB Forums

Full Version: PAR's barndoor rudder design on Kingsfold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yeah! Put a net across that hole to catch your wallet, keys, or cup!
Thanks for your contributions, all. I have a flap idea in mind should a need for it be born out, and a net of some sort is planned for in the design.

By the way, here is a photo of (the left) two boats that completed the full R2AK and are currently participating in the Barefoot RAID (along the east coast of Vancouver Island, B.C.) And some of you thought my transom hole was big...

[attachment=1766]
(08-22-2018, 11:13 AM)Gill_Bahnsen Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your contributions, all. I have a flap idea in mind should a need for it be born out, and a net of some sort is planned for in the design.

By the way, here is a photo of (the left) two boats that completed the full R2AK and are currently participating in the Barefoot RAID (along the east coast of Vancouver Island, B.C.) And some of you thought my transom hole was big...

that is totally nuts !!
Ueah, good thing there's grippy-stuff on the cockpit sole, otherwise the bloke with the weird hair would go shooting out his own transom if a big enough wave hit him.

I'm pretty interested in your work on "Kingsfold". Seems to me there are some very sensible modifications being done here.

The keel modification by Paul Ricelli has really improved my boat. It has just about halved her leeway. I went on a 70 nautical mile trip this summer that, in retrospect, would have been a very annoying challenge (but still do-able) with the old keel. It's so nice to end up more or less where you're pointing.

Keep pushing for your goal. I for one am cheering for you. I think the Weekender can do it! But log all the sea-time you can on other boats in the meantime. It's a poor musician who blames his instrument, and likewise, it's very rarely the boat, but rather the quality of the sailors that cause vessels to drop out of races. All the modifications and preparations you are making won't be worth anything if you're not in peak condition yourself.
Thanks for your encouragement and recommendations, Keith! (I reread your story about wild sailing in November periodically. http://www.stevproj.com/ShrgldsRide.html)

Our current (no pun intended) plan is to only sail Stage 1 (Port Townsend to Victoria) next June 5. That will give us until 2020 to train our guts out for the full distance to Ketchikan.

Regarding the open transom boat, I saw this recent addition to it.
[attachment=1767]
Hallo Gill!
I applaud you for your great adventure ahead. I already posted on your facebook page and am now checking all your BYYB posts. I think all of you provided some very interesting changes / upgrades to the Weekender.

If this continues, then someone will may very well one day cross and ocean in this little boat! (I may dream if I want to! LOL)

Good luck and please keep us posted - I will be following your exploits with keen interest!
Pages: 1 2