BYYB Forums

Full Version: Twin Keeled Sailboat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Angie,

The Doug Fir we get is mostly junk, it will split in a heart beat. The spruce would work really well as far as availablilty and if I could mill it to the proper shape. I am not sure how well it will hold up, kind of soft and tends to check. Cedar is expensive, but what the heck.

I am even ready to try buying some oak molding, half round. I think this may be my best bet, and will match the half round wood I am replacing as far as shape. I may have to mill some off the bottom to allow it to bend easier. That or perhaps try steaming it to the shape I need.
Cascade, not Comet.... I knew it would come to me.... Comet has grit and will scratch gel coat or smooth finish (not a concern on Fat Chance :lol: ). It's raining here, think I will put on my foulies and go pressure wash Fat Chance, she is ready for some new paint and new bottom job.
So did Mike ever get his twin-keeler in the water and go cruising?
Hey Mike, I don't know if you are talking about the fellow in the following link or not. timtone.com/tt/ttphotos/keelmods.htm I've read so many threads the last year getting ideas for my Vac, I don't remember where I found this one. (Credit to whomever I got it from!) This vessel is one fine piece of furniture! I really like the keel mod. I'm trying to figure out how to go with weighted swing keel, ala my Mac 25. (Perhaps swing keel from Mac 21 or 17) Anybody done this? Speaking entirely of myself, I like the "idiot's depth sounder approach". Saved my bacon twice I remember when I lived in Key West. Hey, live and learn- even if it takes twice!
The twin-keeler looks nice. Should lie in the mud sweet for overnighters.
Later,

capnpablo
Pages: 1 2 3