BYYB Forums

Full Version: Twin Keeled Sailboat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Mike, what a score!!!!! Twin keelers are very popular here on the bay. I hear they don't point very good but hey "Gentlemen don't sail to weather!"

This is going to be a great project for you! The boat is lucky you found her.

J Stephen Mustico

Quote:I hear they don't point very good but hey "Gentlemen don't sail to weather!"

On the other hand, it ought to point better then a gaffer . . .

Stephen
I've heard different things, from different sources.

A positive source. had this to say:

http://www.boatbuilding.com/article.php/...ftwinkeels

The truth will surface, when I finally get her on the water. Because of her weight, I don't expect she will be very fast in light winds. However, I plan to sail her in the Cook Inlet and the Prince Williams Sound. She was designed to be a rough water boat, and I know where plenty of that stuff is :wink:

I also plan to install an electric deep sea reel off the stern, haibut and cod beware :lol: A couple of deep shrimp and crab baskets are on the agenda too, after I find an electric winch.

J Stephen Mustico

Mike,
Nice write up.

Now if we made a twin keel weekender the draft would only be 6" right? Tongue

Stephen
One builder did cut his Weekender keel down and instal a centerboarded. He claimed the boat sailed to weather better and came about on the tack quicker.

I'm happy to leave my Vacationer as is though. Each boat has its place and purpose. :wink: The Loon, Lars Opland's little schooner, is the fastest wooden boat I know of, next to a Hobbi-cat. It is close in looks and design to the Bolger Light Schooner, which another Alaskan builder, Jerry, in Anchorage has. I have not sailed with him yet, I have only communicated with him on the internet, but hopefully soon.

My twin-keeler was built between 65-71, and although the keels look like the ones in the write up, I can only hope she does as well. Mr. Russell, the designer of the English Islander 23, was regarded as quite the naughtical type and highly respected. I have my fingers crossed, I must admit.

The Twin-Keeler Organization offered me an honarary membership for being the Grandaddy of twin-keelers Confusedhock:

The two Islander23's that I have found are named Ballerina and Nimble, I hope these names reflect the boats characteristics and not the grandpa part. :lol:

Hopefully, this week end I can get the mast up and check the rigging. I'm still thawing the cockpit out, because the weather is not cooperating, snowed again last night.
Update

Due to the weather, thawing the boat out has been slow; however, the job is almost done. Just a little more down in the lazzerrets :roll:

Meanwhile, I started to hose down the hull and clean off the deck. Decided I needed a stiffer bristle brush :lol: there is even lichen growing on the boat, the upper cabin is pitted from Lord knows what, the finish looks like it has been through a hale storm of rock. Perhaps evidence the boat came up the ALCAN Hwy instead of sailed to Alaska :evil: Trailer sailing does have some disadvantages when it comes to passing big wheelers.

Fill and sand, fill and sand :lol:

My website's main page is still not up, but the Sailing in Alaska's Forum is working and the gallery is open. However, I have to activate each new registered user individually, before they can post to their personal albums.

Mike
Hey Dragon, try using a little dishwashing soap (the one in the Green can with red lettering, very common household name, I just can't think of it now--- you know the one) anyway, it is somewhat acidic in order to eat food off plates, etc and it will do a number on lichens, mildew, etc.... soap her up and let it sit for a few minutes and then just take the hose to her.

So do you think there are only a very few hulls. I am anxious to see some additional photos. Sounds like you got her moved and she is where you can start to take her apart and make her right. She was lucky you found her, you are going to have a blast with this project.
Just went over to the bilge keeler site and read all about the Hurley. Sounds like a tough little boat, several have crossed the Atlantic and one even sailed as far as Austrailia. Confusedhock: Lots of displacement for a 22', she is going to be a fun forgiving boat.

I still think affectionately about my little boat Coorain, she was a Catalina 22 with a winged keel, a rather oddity in that boat. I loved that boat, I'd take her out on any given day, things were simple and it was quick and easy to go sailing. I suppose much of it was she was slipped.
Angie,

Comet, yeah that will do the trick. That or I've been told Simple Green will work.

I actually got down to the wood work in the cockpit, and also started pulling the rub rail trim that is rotten. The stainless steel bolts that fastened the trim are as shiney as the day they came from the factory.

My Mom moved back to Texas, so that pretty much absorbed last week helping her pack up and clean. My son just flew down from the North Slope to rent a house, so I'll be helping with that too. He also wants me to work on his Tahoe, seems to be running a bit rough.

But some where in there, I hope to get back out and pull the tarp off the Twin-keeler. I was out on the bow Monday and felt her start to see-saw on me, a good sign that I have most of the ice out of the stern. Time to strap her back down.

Amazing how many guys have showed up, wanting to know when we're going halibut fishing :lol: I've been keeping an extra scrub brush around. A couple extra sanding blocks would be a real smart move, too.

I've been looking at wood trim to replace the teak trim, very limited choices up here. At first I thought I would pull it all off, but now, I may just scarph in the bad sections. Unless, I come up with a good source.

I still haven't found a hull number, the one owner Bill, that I am in communication with in England, said, he never found one either. He however is the second owner of his boat and even has the owner's manual.

I'm looking forward to getting the mast up, but I may have to wait until all the ice has melted off the driveway to get enough traction to move her back a bit. I noticed that I am a bit close to the powerline Confusedhock:

I take it that you have been busy yourself, I noticed you hadn't made a post in a couple of days, but perhaps you haven't had anything to say.

Your friend,

Mike the undaunted
I helped my friend, Suz put a bottom job on her 24' Carolina Skiff and wiggle it out of this tiny little gate and down to the launch ramp.... it was LONG, the street was NARROW, the ditches were DEEP.... we puckered a few times before we eventually got it. (She is rehabbing a JJ Taylor Contessa 26', but that's ANOTHER story).

Then I have been making the final plumbing pull, tomorrow we throw some power to the pump and pressure tank .... because HERE I COME with the rock (32 sq ft a sheet, you gotta love that... INSTANT RESULTS.... YAHOO!!!!) Let the good times roll.

How about replacing the wood with Sitka Spruce or Alaskan Cedar? No good ol' Doug Fir in the wild North?
Pages: 1 2 3