BYYB Forums

Full Version: Beginning Sailing School in Tampa Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

David Oelker

Ok you old salts, for those who didn't see my new member intro let me preface this by saying that I know NOTHING about sailing.

Now with that said, we will be spending some time in Tampa this winter and I was wondering if any of you knew of a beginning sailing school in the area. I would need something designed for people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. It would also be nice if they don't take me out into big swells right away :oops:

Ok, quit rolling your eyes. I said I didn't know anything. I would like to ease into this thing, if that's possible.

Any ideas?
That is a bit further down from where we were. Google it and they will pop out of the woodwork.

Rob Kern

A bit closer to home is Strictly Sail in Blue Ash. They offer sessions each month during the season with a classroom portion and a practical portion. The practical is held at Brookville Lake. This is something I will probably do next summer.

http://strictlysailinc.com/lessons.htm
Annapolis Sailing School, in St. Pete
http://annapolissailing.com/tampabay.php
I was an instructor there many years back.

They have several courses for beginning sailors and a few designed around visitors down on vacation too.

They used to have small boat course, though I think they're about bigger boat sailing now (same skills, just slower reaction times needed). Give them a call 800/638-9192.

David Oelker

Looks like I'm too late for Strictly Sail classes, Rob. Last one was on Sept. 20. Sad Maybe I'll join you next spring.

David Oelker

Hello All,

I just got back from a week in Tampa. Got to check out a few sailing schools (in between working, of course). Most of them seem to be geared towards off-shore sailing on bigger boats, with the most common being at about 32 feet. These classes usually come with Basic Keelboat certification - and a big price tag, from $800.00 - $1500.00. Confusedhock:

I was looking for more of a basic how-to-sail class. I hear that there are classes offered by community organizations that you can take for $100.00 or less. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks.

Rob Kern

Local boat dealers and marinas might be a good place to check for that sort of thing. Some of those may only be open to city residents or other restrictions based on membership or residence. Out your way there is a sailing club on Brookville Lake (http://www.blsa.us/index.html) that I think offers lessons, and you can check with any marinas on the Ohio or the lake that may be near you.

Then there's always finding a guy with a boat who is willling to show you the ropes, but I guess if that were available you'd already have taken advantage of it.

Personally, if I don't make it to the Strictly Sail classes, I'll probably just wing it when the time comes. That should be exciting! I've been reading up on the various rules and such, but that's no substitute for the real thing.
If you are a snow bird and are going for more than just a week or two, then your could check the bulletin board at the local marina, where you will frequently find some skipper advertising for crew to compete in the next local sailing regatta session. Sailing for free! Sometimes, they just need some “rail-meat” for which any land lubber would qualify. Many captains are willing to take on greenhorns. Your chances of crewing go up if you are stronger and/or nimble. Of course, you take your chances as you might meet Captain Bligh, but all in all it makes for a very practical way to learn to sail.

Cheers,
Tom
Greetings,

This would be a great facility to learn how to sail in Big Grin ...

http://h2uh0.blogspot.com/2007/05/going-indoors.html

... if you could get to use it by your self or with just a few friends.

It looks like the water is about three feet deep.

Anybody know where this is located ???

Cheers,
Tom
Judging by the text on the video I would say it is a "portable" setup that they can put together anywhere they have a big enough venue. Very impressive. It would be fun to run my little Sea Snark around on it providing the fans were adjusted down from "hurricane." :-)
Pages: 1 2