BYYB Forums

Full Version: Beginning Sailing School in Tampa Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I realize this topic is months old but the number of viewers clearly indicates a very strong interest.  How hard or how much trouble would it be for the different fleets to offer a short hands on class on sailing to anyone attending planned upcomming messabouts?  I for one would trailer my litle boat someplace reasonably close or perhaps fly someplace even further for some good pointers on sailing.
Come sail with me.  I teach at The Sailing Academy which is an American Sailing Association Certifitied facility.  I teach Basic Sailing, Keelboat Certification, Coastal Cruising, Advanced Coastal Cruising, Basic Coastal Navigation and Docking Endorsement. I also offer instruction on your boat or mine in safe relaxed atmosphere.

If you are not interested in getting ASA Certification we offer a basic 3 day introduction class for a little over $300.  It is taught on a little 23' keelboat with tiller and drop down centerboard.

Visit The Sailing Academy's webpage or visit my page at JustGOSailing.net.

If I were learning again, I would give Angie a try - stubborn, opinionated, reliable and a damn fine sailor!

Another possibility is the one I used to learn in the 1950's - Red Cross training.  If was inexpensive and thorough then and it is still around.  Here is a link to the WestCoast Red Cross region and they offer sail training but I couldn't find out costs or schedules as you enter your zip code to get them and I don't know the zips there: http://www.flwestcoastredcross.org/gener...D257E933V5

My classed started in an 8' dingy and profressed through a keelboat. 

Just remember, every boat is unique (even within a design) so nothing beats learning on your own boat after you have some basics.  Sailing is not difficult to learn but mastering it takes a lifetime.  Thoroughly learn boating safety and basic seamanship first, then gently ease into sailing - it is not hard and leads to worlds of fun.
Pages: 1 2