BYYB Forums

Full Version: Fitting Taffrail to curve of transom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Steve Cherry

I have a piece of 1x2 Ash which I was going to steam and bend to the shape of the taffrail, but it would require a compound bend, which I think would be really difficult. The plans seem a little vague to me. The other option, which I think is the way I'm going to have to go, is get a wider board, cut a curved piece out so that I only have to bend in one direction. Does that sound right?
Yup. Or you could rip the ash into 1/8" thick strips and laminate over a form. That's what I did.

Brian R Walters

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but speaking of laminating...anyone ever use wood veneer edge tape (unglued) for laminating? I need to make a ring-frame and I'm thinking of using 2"wide tape (about 1/32 thick X 6 plies). If it works out well I'm kicking around making the wheel that way too. Thanks

Steve Cherry

Thanks for getting back to me about the taffrail, Steve. I'll be visiting ye old woodshop tommorrow morning to get a suitable piece of Ash.
Nothing like a good piece of asH.... Tongue
The only problem you may run into laminating edge tape is the tape has a backing that may not hold up to the elements very well. You may want to soak a piece and see what happens. If you do loose the backing after soaking it then you have an all wood veneer that will probably do well. It will take a lot of wraps to make a wheel though.

Keith
Oh Ang, I am so tempted to answer that. :lol: