BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hood Ornament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I started building my new hood ornaments for Magnolia. I am going to put two cowl vents on the fore deck. I got one at the boat show and I have ordered another. they are bronze 4 3/8" Dia.and 4 7/8"heigh. Cool man cool. Now I have to build a couple of dorades for them. Sure wish I had one of them there Green Bear saws to cut the peaces with those angles are hard to cut with a cain saw. But maybe I can get er done. Bud :wink:
Now Bud. :? You know darn well that that is preecision work best left to the profffesssionalls. First you measure the part with a micronoometter thing. Then you lay out the mounting hole with chalk. Then, with a fairly sharp cain, you cainsaw the hole on the flat part in front. Next, usein yer biggest hammerr, ya da one with the big chip out of the face, you pound the aflicted device into the hole. Finish by painting the whole messss shut. Now don't let me catch you dooing a half butt job again. You want they think we's duummys? :roll:
you might be a hack with that ol' chainsaw and hatchet but you got some good taste in bronze hardware. You'd better glue em down with some strong sticky goop. I'd hate for the wind to pipe up in the middle of the night and blow em off your boat and onto mine.

Keith
Make them removable from the Dorade box, so you can dog down a cover to keep green water from entering, in a rough slosh. A baffle (or two) inside the Dorade is a very wise idea too. Well built Dorade boxes also have several weep holes along the bottom edge to permit water that does get in, to escape the box. The fancy ones have a screw on vent, but a slip on fit is just fine for sheltered waters sailing.

I love the looks of Dorades on a yacht, but hate the way they seem to catch most every line that comes near them. Think about their placement carefully, so jib sheets and other lines don't snag them in a tack.

Ventilation on most every boat, when underway and at rest, surprisingly enough, is from aft to forward. This is why the forward vents usually face aft and vents at the back of the boat face forward.

If you plunge cut with the chainsaw, then spin it around a few times you can skip the fancy woodworking mentioned above.
So you guys will quit worring I will give a report on the Dorades. Both Dorade boxes will have baffles and drain holes in them. I am putting them as out of the way as I can. I have cut the back of my darades on the radioace of the front of the cabin and the air opening will be about 1 1/2" up on the cabin wall. All my lines are run off the main on the roof of the cabin back to the cock pit except the jib which is run through a block on the stays and back to the cockpit. This way nothing will tangle until I get in a tight. I got the cowl vents from mariner's hardware and I had them make the throat red on one and green on the other. Now lets see I think the red one goes on the side my watch is on and the green on the side of the hand I write with, O'well some one will know on the good old BYYB board. :wink: Bud.
So you guys will quit worring I will give a report on the Dorades. Both Dorade boxes will have baffles and drain holes in them. I am putting them as out of the way as I can. I have cut the back of my darades on the radioace of the front of the cabin and the air opening will be about 1 1/2" up on the cabin wall. All my lines are run off the main on the roof of the cabin back to the cock pit except the jib which is run through a block on the stays and back to the cockpit. This way nothing will tangle until I get in a tight. I got the cowl vents from mariner's hardware and I had them make the throat red on one and green on the other. Now lets see I think the red one goes on the side my watch is on and the green on the side of the hand I write with, O'well some one will know on the good old BYYB board. :wink: Bud.
There I have started that saying everything twice again. Bud :wink:
Don't worry Pop, it's just the "old timers" kicking in again.....we gotcha figured out! :lol:

ARRGH! Confusedhock:

James Sanders

Ahoy Bud,

Don't know much about cowl vents and dorades, but they sure look salty!
Glad to hear about the fine look you're giving to the boat!
Barnical Jim there is not much to know about cowl vents and PAR will fill you in on how to build your Dorades. They should be no problem now that you have the green bear. Cowl Vent tip for today Marineer's Hardware 877 765-0880. Might as well go ahead now, you gotta have em. Bud.
Pages: 1 2