BYYB Forums

Full Version: OFF Topic Hack Alert!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now here is one for weird. It starts when my Computer Scientist son tells me I don’t need a fire wall because I am using a wireless router. Earlier, after work, I was writing a post to Brian when my curser starts to jump around and some one starts talking to me! I finally got out of him that he was in Spain playing around with a new Trojan program and that he was hacking me and not the BYYB site. More on this later. Anyway, he says not to worry, he means no harm and we start to talk. He got in using this new program and MSN somehow. I am not using MSN and don’t have it turned on (IRC?) The guy just wants to talk and we start talking about boats. He can see my pictures as he is controlling my machine. He has a glass 40 mph speedboat in the north of Spain on the Atlantic coast. He says he is a welder by trade and is bored. It is Z+6 here so about midnight there. The boat angle is just too much for me and I ask if the hack was targeted or random and he says random and asked where am I. I figure, what the hell, I don’t know how long he has been in here so why worry now and we chat for 15 minutes or so. He really likes my photo of the pig boat if you all remember that one. I wanted to know more about his software but my son called and I had to talk to him. I ask him to wait a bit but he was gone when I came back 10 minutes later Nothing on the machine seems to be disturbed or damaged although I still need to run a virus check. Oh ya, the firewall is up and running strong. Is this weird or what???? Confusedhock:
It seems an unlikely occurance. That's is definately weird. As far as routers go, I would not use the wireless unless it was good and secure. If your not using it you should disable it. Routers are good protection (Typically). I'm not sure about this trojan, but I have seen others in the past that you could actually plant into a system remotely and then take it over. That being said, if it is using some MSN exploit, then likey your router has ports open to allow MSN to comunicate outside the firewall. This may be how he can use it to gain access to you system.

Your visitor seemed to be friendly at least. Good thing he was not malicious.
I am goiing to have to go back through the set up for the router I guess. Damnest thing. Friendly guy and I can find nothing wrong or missing.
We changed all the router addresses and verified that there were no ports accidently left open. I ran a good virus check and then dumped all the internet activity from the brosers. Haven seen him now for two days.He is either locked out or tired of playing with me. The only sure way to know is to format everything and that is too much trouble for the gain.

Just another reminder to never keep anything you don't want the world to know on one of these internet connected machines. :?