BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tillermate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have any input on the tillermate? I have been thinking about putting one on my boat so I can leave the tiller for a moment. Thanks in advance Bud.
Hey Capt'n Bud - you need a Cajun Tiller Tamer. Simple, cheap and effective!

[Image: 0002.jpg]
Thanks Richard that looks like a hell of an id. Is that paton applied for? I think I have all the parts out in the shed to build one. Thanks again Bud :wink:
A TillerTamer will provide a healthy amount of tension to the helm. You'll constantly fool with the tension knob, never truly getting it to "hold a course" but it will lock the helm in one location, which may be enough to allow you to run below and pour a cub of coffee in your "I'm a sailing nut" mug.

Real self steering can be as simple as a piece of shock cord (bungee) attached to one side of the tiller and the jib sheet (carried across the cockpit to the windward side) attached to the other. Once a course is set, you play with the tension of the shock cord and she'll really steer herself for considerable distance (miles) without anyone manning the helm.

In a small boat (anything under 30') the crew(s) position in the boat will affect the course the boat is steering. The smaller the boat, the more obvious this becomes. In a boat the size of Weekender, you can lock the helm down then see where she wants to sail. If she's bearing off then slide your butt forward, a little at a time, until she balances out. If she wants to head up with the helm tied, then scoot your butt aft until the happy place is found and she'll coast along until something moves the trim (fore and aft weight placement) or a healthy wind shift happens along.
Thank Paul but I think what Richard posted will work for what I wanted. Some times I just need to go pee and get me a bottle of water. Some days when you stand up on the seat and pee over the side people will blow there horn and holler stuff at you. Another thing is some days I get my new white Crocks wet when I do that. Best Regards Bud. :wink: