BYYB Forums

Full Version: new builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Garrett Jolly

Hi everyone my name is garrett jolly im 15 i live in Los Osos CA and im building the vacationer. I got my plans about a month ago and im just finishing up the cabin. I will be getting to the epoxy soon and i dont have much experience with it so i figured i could get some good advice here. I will try to post some pictures of my boat soon if i can figure out how to work my camera. So far this has been a very fun build and i look foward to hearing back from you.
Quick build! Confusedhock:

Looking forward to the pictures.
Welcome from the frozen north Garrett, 15 years old and building a Vacationer, nice going. My son started sailing my boat 3 years ago at 15, he's getting pretty good. Now he wants his own Weekender to race me with. We got the plans in the mail today, and if he finds some spare cash, we'll be making sawdust up here soon.

Looking forward to the pictures. 8)

Greg
Way to go Garrett. Nice to have a young sailor/builder on board. I think you'll find all the help you can stand on this board. Just keep us updated and ask lots of questions. Big Grin
Hi Garrett, you don't live to far from my sister who is in Sacramento. I would like to plan something in that area some day.

your town looks like a great place for sailing from the web sites i looked at.

did you happen to notice the fleet section of the club, you would be in the Southwest Fleet, that is where we post all of the fleet types of activities. we are having one in April in Las Vegas, if you can get over there i am sure you would have a great time sailing on someones boat, or you may even have yours done the way you have been building it Smile

if you have any questions or need anything please let me know.
Welcome to the BYYB forum Garrett. most of this bunch are crazy old men so have some understanding. I have two girls and two grandsons, the weather is nice here 76 today, I don't have any kinfolks that live close to you. Now what do you need to know about the apoxie? first what brand are you going to use? I start on the bottom apply coat and let it get almost set before I apply any cloth. wet out the cloth with a coat working out any boobles ect.don't try to get all on in one coat you can always come back with another until you get the cloth covered. This is how I do it not the only way. keep up the good work Bud. Smile
Welcome Aboard Garrett,
If I can help in any way dont hesitate to ask, You are ahead of me though, 8) , Please post some photos of Your build.

Brian.

Garrett Jolly

ok im not sure if this will work but if it does this is my boat. i just finished the cabin today. im ready to flip it over and i have absolutly no idea how the best way to do that is so any advice would be great. thanks. http://byyb.org/cpg143/albums/userpics/1...0_1004.JPG http://byyb.org/cpg143/albums/userpics/1...0_1002.JPG

Garrett Jolly

o by the way there are a few more pictures on the vacationer album in the photo gallery.
Nice work on your vessel Garrett, looks like you've be quite productive. Some advice on flipping her, you might want to either fasten the gunwales on the plywood now, or a frame work on the deck, to give it some support so the plywood won't break. As the weight of the boat will rest on it during the flip. Barnacle Jim fashioned a frame that fastened to the cabin roof, that took the weight on the roll. At this point in construction, the boat should still be fairly light (300-400 lbs).

I got about 8-10 friends, we removed the dollies. set the keel on the floor of my garage. We picked up one side, slowly rolled her on the gunwale. balancing her from both sides with your helpers. very easily set it on the cabin, and supports. I modified my dollies to support my boat while turtle.

[Image: SVGinnyRae034.jpg]

[Image: SVGinnyRae035.jpg]

[Image: SVGinnyRae038.jpg]

[Image: SVGinnyRae037.jpg]

My crew consumed a couple large pizzas, and some beverages, well deserved compensation for a job well done 8)

Good luck on your flippin' party Garrett Big Grin

Greg
Pages: 1 2