BYYB Forums

Full Version: Everglade Chal.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well boys and girls I am happy to tell you that Roo & Tinker aka Graham Byrnes and Randy Marshall have won the EC 2 days, 8 hours 56 min. 12.5 hours off leg 3. I bet that was a hellov a rideup on the edge of the seat. According to Howard as of 6;20 cst. the Skimmer has finished check point 4 done. No other race time even posted at check point 3?? ouch.
According to the results page CP2,174 miles Chakoskea 1 day 9 hours 30 min.CP#3 273 miles Flamingo 1 day 20 hours 30 min. Check point 2 to check point 3 is 99 miles. These to check in times are 11 hours apart, you do the math. my guess is 9KN average for 11 hours. Southern Skimmer is a bran new boat Graham designed and started to work on 12/1/06. is that impressive or is that impressive. Bud Smile
Hey Pop, tried to call you.... yeah, that sounds like that was a hook. WOW! That is the boat with the big lanteen rig, a single ama and the man powered prop, right?
The boat that won, Southern Skimmer, is a cat ketch rig.

[Image: 408925966_97a8906026.jpg]

You can find pictures of last Friday as the boats gathered on the beach, and Saturday, race day, at
http://flickr.com/photos/tags/watertribe/
Waterline trumps again..... is that the largest boat in the fleet? Looks like it can haul some canvas too with that long sprit.

Ray Frechette Jr

Southern Skimmer can sport 500 sq feet of sail between Main, Mizzen, Mizzen Staysail and asymetrical spinnaker.

Word as it she sported all bits on her run from CP2 to CP3 with conditions favoring the boat greatly.

Graham reports seeing 15 knts during the run.

Many followers of the race again discounted Graham's ability to win this year pre race. Lot's of people had a lot more faith in the abilities of Multihulls over Graham's designs.

Even still, some argue that they want to see a performance cat or multi put Graham to the test. It is though they think that none of the Multi sailors wanted to win, or the G-Cat last year was lacking drive and ambition.

Graham knows Multis well and whatthey can do. He was sailing them long ago whaen all the Monohulls viewed multi sailors as Trash. Graham knows what multi's can do and chose to design a Monohull for this race.

Hmm, I guess Naval Architects must have some knowledge.