BYYB Forums

Full Version: Is it just me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems like there should be a lot more activity around here, a lot more pictures being posted and more questions being asked about "Station 13" syndrome and such....

Who's building through this winter? I know Brian is moving along, and that rascal Barnacle Jim is supposedly building his boat (or cleverly posting pictures of someone else's boat being built Tongue ), but how many others are out there burning propane to beat the spring thaw? Ckeck in and let us know where you are. We need pictures!

James Sanders

Ahoy Brit,

A times I wonder if the Stevenson design is in the doldrums. Maybe it's just anxious postings, but there have been more than one posting of folks having trouble making contact. The Stevenson site is a little dated, at least if we judge the site by recent builders' photos. I know the Stevensons have been in transition, but there may be other elements at bay here as well.

I suppose, Brit, we could compare the level of activity now with the level of say a year or two ago. It could be that we have about the same level, or it could be that boatbuilding interest itself comes in cycles with some years having more interest than others. I just don't know.

I do get embarrassed talking about my boat and wish others would talk more about the boats they are building. Yet, if we look over some of the recent postings, we do find activity, rather healthy activity. The soundings are promising.

Barnacle Jim is stalled with his boat. The rain has kept him indoors, and he apparently needs to make a door or two for his family. I have often thought that his boat was just a cardboard cut-out anyway. I really don't think his boat is a real boat.

Craig Gleason just finished a fine looking boat. I'm not sure whether his new boat will float or not, but it is a rather nice looking boat and quite worthy of the intended Captain.

Brian Walters seems to be making progress with his boat. In fact, his progress seems rather promising, judging by the photos he posts and the questions he raises. In no time, I suspect, he'll be raising a mast.

Karl Nisson, of course, recently posted some photos of a boat he is building. Admittedly, it is not a Stevenson design, but it's a fine looking boat. I am convinced that it will float rather nicely.

Ray Frechette likewise showed us some photos of a boat he is building for a client. From what Ray says, the boat seems to be quick, very quick, 12 knots quick.

I'm sure there may be one or two others I may have overlooked, but these few folks come immediately to mind.

There's also the Fleet planning activities. Indeed, the SW Fleet seems to be talking about some event at Hoover Dam. Knowing that bunch, I can tell you that they may all be rounded up as terrorists once they set sail. They are a rather rough looking bunch. Believe me, I have seen some of them. Fortunately, I have not seen all of them.

So, I guess, judging from recent postings, we do have some activity on the BYYB board. Of course, I wish we had more. and maybe before you know it, maybe folks will post a plethora of pictures. Boatbuilding is probably a lot like sailing. Sometimes you move; sometimes you're stalled.
Brit, I just can't do anything yet till it warms up. We just got rid of the snow and it dumped a bunch more on us with more expected. I think it's just the winter doldrums. I have noticed a marked slow down though. Even Adla is hibernating although I know she's been out on the water already this year. That boat Jim shows us from time to time is for real. I've seen it in person so I know it's there. It's so huge though that it's going to take forever. But knowing that rascal Barnacle Jim He'll keep after it until it's perfect.
This is very typical for this time of year. For those folks that don't live in the Southern climates, they still have to dig out from the snow and are truly hybernating in many areas. Not a lot of fun for them to try to build when they can't get their autos dug out anyway.

For those of us in The Pacific Northwest. We're just working away and there is progress on many fronts from many builders. We don't talk about it much since the impression is that we don't really exist and that we have to dodge the raindrops and the earthquakes all the time. That is just the impression that we want to exist out there. This is a dangerous land, and one day they will actually build roads for us to get around on other than on the Microsoft campus.

Been on the water several times already with the temps in the upper 50's.
We won't talk about the snowfall here that measures in many places in dozens of feet rather than the inches that fall elsewhere. Or the daffodils and tulips that are beginning to bloom. The trees are beginning to bud out so Spring for us is right around the corner.
Uummm...Sorry about the slow DVD production. I am, in fact, working on it this very morning! The DVD's are finished, editing-wise, and now I'm just learning how to use DVDStudio to set up the menus and such. My target is to have both discs finished by the end of next week. I've shot transitional material, added new chapters, etc. So we're getting close.

There's a very strong possibility we may have to move Stevenson Projects again in July or so. I will wait to do the next move until after I've fiished the Super Skipjack plans and DVD. The Weekender DVD will be ready to roll out before the end of March, probably mid-month.

The SuperSkip plans are cleaned up and the copy is finished. HOWEVER: I won't assemble the whole set of plans and commit to the dimensions until I build a test boat. As soon as I finish the Weekender DVD (mid-March), I'll drive out to Texas and build one out there with Peter. This way we'll have a test of the dimensions, I can film the next DVD, and I will end up with a Super Skipjack to sail also! But it means another 5000 miles of driving...I need to go out there anyway, I guess.

So: We haven't fallen all the way off the planet yet, but we are pretty busy...

Mike