BYYB Forums

Full Version: Brand New Pair of Roller Skates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

James Sanders

I've got a brand new pair of roller skates
You've got a brand new key
— Melanie Safka

You probably remember a stupid song about a brand new pair of roller skates. Well, not to disappoint you, but I do not have a brand new pairs of roller skates, but I did order a new saw today.

My old saw, which I have had for years, was OK, but it just was not accurate enough, nor powerful enough at times. Besides Bill Olney got a new saw a year or two ago. Now, don't misunderstand me, Bill never has bad mouthed my saw, or anything like that. I might do something like that, but not Bill. He's got better manners.

I decided to give the Grizzly saw a try. It's a two-horse power hybrid, just a notch below the 3 HP cabinet saw, which I also seriously considered. I can wire the hybrid for 220 volts, if I need to do so. The saw has a left-tilt blaw and dent stops for both 90 degree and 45 degree.

What impressed me most about the saw was a reference in the Owner's Manual about calibration. Unlike my current saw, the miter slots on the Grizzly hybrid saw are exactly parallel. Indeed, the run-out on the blade can be calibrated to within .001. The trunions are also cast-iron.

[Image: saw.jpg]

Yes, I had thought about finding an old Delta Unisaw and refurbishing it. In fact, I even looked at a couple near my home. The saws were pretty rough, and the price was far too high. In addition, I would have had to make a copy of a Biesmeyer fence, and that would have been OK. but would have required a little work and some time. I would also have had to make a 3 phase converter. (The seller suggested a transformer, but a transformer is simply not the way to go. You lose 1/3 of the motor's power, and 1/3 of the life of a motor.) Yet. such projects within projects would have taken time away from boatbuilding, and the doors I need to build for Miss Pat (and now my daughter as well).

I went with Grizzly. I don't know how any of this will turn out. Often just after I buy something, I find myself having buyer's remorse. I could have made the old saw do, but there were some things it simply could not do. I once spoke with Kenny Mann about how to make my saw a bit more accurate. Kenny told me, "That saw is already doing more than you or it were ever designed to do." Well, I suppose— we'll saw what happens. I soon will have a brand new pair of roller skates. I'm sure Bill Olney will come by to look at the new saw. I did the same for him.
I've had good luck with Grizzly machines. I have one of their tablesaws in my shop plus a couple of shapers, and an edge sander. Just last week I ordered a new planer as well. The prices are good and the quality is there. I looked at a side by side comparison with Jet Powermatic and Grizzly and they all look identical. I have a 15"powermatic planer in my basement for a true compairison when the grizzly arrives. I hope you enjoy your new saw

keith
Jim, do yourself a favor and wire your new saw for 240 VAC. It will run cooler, last longer and use slightly less electricity. Grizzly makes pretty good equipment, you'll enjoy the precision and cut repeatability. Also a dust collection system of some sort is wise. This can be as simple as a shop vac, duck taped to a bag under the saw or a full blown setup.
You can’t go wrong with Grizzly; Most of my major tools are Grizzly and I have no complaints.
The next big Grizzly purchase is going to be a dust collection system.

MEN AND THEIR TOYS

Karl

Ray Frechette Jr

You got that saw for the Pirice of a new set of Roller Skates!!!

Wow, buy one for me too! Drool..

Actually as much as I would like the power, accuracy, and low vibrations of one of those nice big heavy untis, I have a more expensive problem that precludes getting one. Lack of dedicated space for one... At least for now.

So I will stick with my Bosch direct drive unit with the extendable wings that sits on my rolling outfeed table assmebly table storage shelf unit. At least untill I get the business producing enough to build that 30-50 foot shop....

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Thanks for the reassuring comments. One of the nice things about BYYB is that others may have already tried what you've happen to be pondering, and that was the case here. In fact, some of you are professional contractors, and your advice goes a long way.

Those of you who have dedicated (or even garage shops), I admire your facilities! We live in a small townhouse. The covered back patio serves as our make-shift work shop. (Miss Pat is very understanding and kind.) One day, I guess, we'll move, but until then, its much like a ship, I suppose— cramped quarters with no quarters given to roguish outsiders.

The boat, you want to know where the boat is. OK. The boat is in the backyard of a good friend. If it were not for my friends or their backyard, I would not be able to build a boat.

I decided to give Grizzly a try. The company seems well organized with excellent technical and sales help. At least, I have been quite impressed.

I decided against the Hybrid saw, however. The saw itself is probably fine. I have worked for years with an inexpensive Sears saw. Even so, I had decided that if I am going to upgrade, I need to buy the saw I need. So, the saw we decided on was the heavier, more powerful cabinet saw. To be candid, I had doubts about the Hybrid's flat poly-V belt and its close proximity to the motor.

[Image: saw1.jpg]

From the outside, the two saws look rather similar, but on the inside, the similarities come to an abrupt halt. The cast iron trunions of a cabinet saw are attached to the frame and almost always there are three V-belts. The cabinet saw also has a more powerful motor: 3 HP, Single Phase, 220 Volts. The saw should arrive some time this week. Thanks again for the suggestions and input!

kenconnors

"I see", said the blind man, as he picked up the hammer and saw.

I've got several friends with Grizzly's- they love them. I'm still struggling with my ancient Craftsman. The good thing about it is that the original owner welded big wide wheels on it, so it's easy to move around the shop.
Good luck.

James Sanders

Ahoy Ken,

Good to hear from you. How are things up your way? Might you have some sailing adventures to share? Just the other day I received an e-mail from Chris. He sold his boat. After the sale, the boat was damaged in the move, somewhere on the return home.

kenconnors

Hey Jim,
Sorry, no interesting sailing adventures. CEILI has been moored the past three seasons, but didnt get to sail that much. I was thinking of Chris's boat the other day, did he ever get to sail it?. Sorry to hear it got damaged. My boat is for sale also (in MAIB) Need to make room for the next build.

James Sanders

Ahoy Ken,

You also are planning to sell and build yet another boat? I must be a turtle, still working on my first boat, ploding along, slowly making progress.

I don't know whether Chris was able to sail his boat or not. He did complete his mast, but eventually went with a larger production boat. I still hear from Chris once in awhile. He was very helpful and generous with his advice when I first began building. We've yet to meet in person, and I am looking forward should such an opportunity emerge.

The Grizzly cabinet saw arrived the other day. I went with the heavier model rather than the Grizzly hybrid saw. The machine is quite heavy and easily cuts through thick stock. We placed a penny on edge, turned the machine on, and the penny never fell over. I was impressed with how well built the saw actually is.

We've been sidetracked by a lingering head cold, and another project— French doors both for Miss Pat and our daughter, Rachel. Here are some photos of what we have done so far. Hopefully, this week I will be able to return to the boat and maybe make some progress on that project as well. At any rate, here is what the stock looked liked after we had milled the stiles and rails.

[Image: sis1.jpg]

The stiles were perfectly straight and flat. Later, the temperature and climate caused one or two to twist and bend. That's just the nature of wood, though. Eventually, I was able to straighten out the natural defects and begin building.

[Image: sis2.jpg]

This next photo shows the Grizzly saw with a door secured with heavy clamps. I doubt if pipe clamps would have worked on a project like this. Pipe stock can bend. I used the heaviest clamps I had, clamps Miss Pat had bought for me on a past birthday some years ago. The clamps were made in England and are steel I-beams.

[Image: sis3.jpg]

Gradually, the pile of wood began to look more and more like a door. I placed one of the doors upright just to see how the door might look. The stubs or ears, of course, will be cut off later.

[Image: sis4.jpg]

Just for fun I brought in one pair of French doors inside and set them up against our old sliding glass patio door. (A third door can also be seen on the patio.) There is still a lot of work to do. I need to cut the cross frames, add the glass, sand and finish. Even so, I still believe I can do some work on the boat this week. Hope springs eternal in the human breast . . .

[Image: sis5.jpg]

Miss Pat made some delicious French toast for breakfast. I ate the toast heartitly. She is a good cook. (The estimated weight of one door is about 60 or 70 pounds. The glass, of course, will add considerable weight.)
Pages: 1 2