BYYB Forums

Full Version: It was one of those kind of days
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Did you ever have one of those days?
I mean the kind of day where I fought the law, and the law won.
It wasn't really the law so much as it was wood.

It was a simple task: build seven drawers with one set for a router cabinet, and another for a drill press cabinet— seven drawers in total, that's all. The drawer slides would be an inexpensive metal slide.

Somehow, though, today was just not my day. I made one foolish mistake after another. Smile If I had been working for Keith, he probably would have fired me.

This thing we call woodworking or boatbuilding is an elusive thing. Sometimes nothing goes as you planned. Did you ever have a day like that? Did you?
NOPE! I paid them off long ago so it wouldn't happen! :roll:

It also pays to have a good attorney on your side. 8)
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you....

Drawers are finicky things, and should not be trusted to themselves. Many are the time when I had to redo entire batches of drawers.

Many days have I spent pondering such issues. Why is it that sometimes you can do no wrong, and other days you can't even tie your shoes right. I have had several kitchen installations that happened so fast, it left my head spinning. But seemingly more often, I get bogged down on the simplest tasks. It seems that once something goes wrong, it begins a downward spiral that seemingly cannot be overcome.

Perhaps it is because I sometimes take the little details for granted. Maybe I am overconfident in my ability of "intuition" to manage damage control. But, more likely, it is the gremlin mafia, who are upset that I haven't paid my "protection" fees. Whatever the reason, sometimes the best thing to do is to temporarily walk away from the project "to live to fight another day".
I wouldn't have fired you Jim, I'd make you hang the drawers on the wall above your workbench as a reminder of what not to do. I really did that at a place I worked. Mistakes went onto the wall of shame for all to see. The sad thing is how fast it filled up. Anyhow, mistakes happen to us all. As long as you can recognize and fix your own mistakes your doing ok. If the drawers are too small you can add a filler to the side where the runner mounts. If it's too big you might be able to trim the drawer side down a bit. Now if you didn't take into account the 1" space the slides take up your gonna have to do some chopping. Good luck

Keith

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Thanks for the understanding comments. Judged by the foolish errors, I would have fame on that wall of shame, outshining all others, ever present on that wall for all the world to see.

Yes, I guess some days, you measure twice and cut; yet, the board is still too short. I am happy to say that yesterday the bear lost. We made installed the drawers for the drill press cabinet, and the drawers fit.