BYYB Forums

Full Version: New tool
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got a new tool for my shop and thought some of you might be interested in it. It's a Jet slow speed wet sharpener, and it will put an edge on a plane or chisel like you can't imagine. Take a look at the review of the tool here http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jet...errvu.html

It finally arrived today and I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours. I now have razor sharp tools with mirror polished edges. It's quick, accurate and you can sharpen just about anything on it with the proper jig. I have a carving tool jig on the way. At last I'll have really sharp carving chisels.
If any of you have nice tools that you want to keep razor sharp you should consider getting one of these. Now I have to get rested up so I can sharpen some more tomorrow, I still have about 35 more handplanes to that need sharpening.

I may bring it with me to our next messabout so if anyone wants to bring their tools I'll be happy to grind them for you.

Keith
They are great, the Jet you got is a lot like the Tormek I have had for years:

[Image: 26196-01-200.jpg]

[Image: web214.jpg]

Work really well with the right jigs but you can go broke buying them - lol.

James Sanders

Ahoy Keith,

What a great tool! A friend of mine has a Tormek and what a difference the sharpening system makes. His tools exceed razor sharp.

I saw a Jet sharpener at a recent woodworking show. Almost bought it; had to leave quickly or else I would have spent the money. Maybe I'll get one later.

In the meantime, Keith— may we garner from your recent purchase an indication that nautical carvings are just around the corner? That we may soon see some carvings on the fine boat of yours?
the Jet Sharpener is identical to the Tormak with one exeption; the Tormak has a DC motor as opposed to the Jet having an AC motor, but if you are applying so much presure that you bog it down you are doing it wrong.

all of the jigs will work with either machine which is nice if one brand has a jig the other does not.

they are going for $299 at woodcraft Smile
The Tormek and the Jet are very much alike. The price is 25%less for the Jet plus you get a storage base and cover for it with the price of the tool. I also like that the Jet has variable speed control to keep the rpms up to 90 no matter what size the wheel has been ground down to. It also is nice to be able to speed it up for quicker bevel changing and faster polishing. Another change they made was a bigger water tray in order to catch more water drips, although I still made a big wet mess last night. So far I am very pleased with the Jet. I must say though that if it had not been for watching a demo of the Tormek at a woodworking show I probably wouldn't have bought one at all.

How long have you had the Tormek Richard? Does the stone last a long time or have you had to replace it yet? Also if there are jigs you're still looking for check out timberline tools online, they are the cheapest I have found so far and the jet jigs will work with your tormek.

Keith
Quote: How long have you had the Tormek Richard? Does the stone last a long time or have you had to replace it yet? Also if there are jigs you're still looking for check out timberline tools online, they are the cheapest I have found so far and the jet jigs will work with your tormek.

Keith

I bought the Tormek in about 1996 and am still on the original stone. I got suckered in at a woodworking show and bought the package with about every jig they offered at that time. I primarily use mine for curved lathe chisels as they were extremely diffucult to do by hand and the jig makes it a snap to get consistant results.
If my wallet was fatter the day I was at the show I would have brought home a tormek too. They are a really nice machine and the salesman knows how to play a crowd. That's good to hear about the stone lasting a long time. I sharpend a few carving gouges last night and they have never been so sharp. Now I need to get to work carving my trailerboards that I've been putting off for so long.

If you haven't checked the tormek website in a while you might want to take a quick look. They have a page on setting up jigs to make setting up your jigs quicker. Read the page and you'll understand. http://www.tormek.us/eng/tips/pdf/leafle...hod_gb.pdf

Keith