BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bottom Paint????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Making a decision of which bottom paint to use on the new skiff is getting complicated.
It seems like around here the topic of bottom paint is like talking politics (everyone has an opinion and a favorite candidate).
The boat is stitch and glue construction plywood covered with glass and. epoxy
It will be in the water (brackish salt water of the Chesapeake) most of the time from April until October.
Does anyone have experience with “Interlux Micron Extra”, or “Interlux ACT”?
Karl

I put the IME on Windrose (because I wanted gray instead red, blue or black). I thought it was a bit pricey, but I was very pleased with the results. At the end of the season I had a little slime but it all cleaned off easily. However, it did lose it's nice gray color, it took on a patina greenish color at the water line and was actually more white where it stays in the water.

I used two full gallons on the bottom of Windrose and was a little thin in some areas. It is great paint though $$$. I get two years between bottom jobs using it.... pretty good here where barnacles seem to grow overnight on things.
A friend of mine was telling me that Sherwin Williams has a fine bottom paint that she used on her boat. She found out about it from someone in the Navy who was using on their boats. She said it last a long time and it was very inexpensive. You might want to give it a look

Keith
Karl Interlux is my candidate, considering price quality etc. Interlux is a good brand paint not to pricey. A qt.will do your boat. The tiger tooth Angie put on her big boat did a good job for her because of the pro. painter she had put it on. (she put me to painting the bottom to get me out of the way while she worked on the top side) :wink: Bud.
You did a mighty fine job of painting the big boat’s bottom. It looked like a true professional was PAYED big $$$.. :wink: :wink: :wink:
I’m gonna use the Interlux paint. Which paint is best for this environment is my main ??? they have so many products
I painted the bottom on MY WORLD with “Interlux EpoxyCop” and it has held up great.
The problem with EpoxyCop it’s not for boats that stay in the water full time.
Interlux has a live chat web site Mon – Fri I’ll check it out this week

Karl Smile :? 8) .
:lol: :lol: I had to get Pop somewhere out of the blistering heat, so he taped and painted the old gal with the skill of a pro. With his dark hair and dark skin, they thought he was a "pro"...

I cut two holes in her last week, the laminate was 1 1/4" to 1 1/2", I saved the plugs out of nostalgia. It was a beast. I used 5 saw blades. They don't build them like that anymore, she is 44 years old this year. We are upgrading to a few "modern convienences". One hole is for her new transducer and the other is for her new thru hull that will supply raw water to a foot pump in the galley and a electric powered deck wash on the foredeck. Sweet!

Karl, are you going to be around today? I might ride over later and check out your boat. Randy is going to see Dream Girls with one of her friends (boring!)
A recent issue of "Practical Sailor" had tests results (continuing with long term) from a couple of dozen different bottom paints. See if you can look up the results on line.

Personally, I'd recommend an"ablative" paint, as they are less like to lose their effectiveness, like many of the "hard" antifouling paints can after repeated launchings. West Marine's CPP bottom paint (an ablative, made by Pettit) ranked high as the others and costs $90 bucks. Most of the other paints were much higher then this. Some of the these tested were $250 a gallon! West Marine PCA paint (also an ablative, by Pettit) was rated a "Budget Buy" at $80 bucks, which is about as cheap as you'll find.
They simply come off the boat before lossing their effectiveness. Personally, I hate ablative paint. Karl I think in your situation, where at times your boat will be rubbing on the bottom, I would still use a hard bottom paint . It is not like you are going to constantly be letting it dry out since it will be in the water at your pier.
When it was time to paint the bottom of my MacGregor I asked other trailersailors and the guy at WestMarine which type of paint I should use. They all said ablative though I do agree that it is annoying to have on the boat. I always seem to bump it when swimming and come away blue! The basic reason is that all bottom paint oxidizes in the air. Hard paint loses its effectiveness after only a couple of days out of the water. With ablative paint, however, the layer that has lost its effectiveness ablates off leaving effective paint underneith. So, while hard paint is better for many different reasons, it shouldn't be used on a boat that will spend time out of the water on a trailer.
Bingo, Scott . . .
Pages: 1 2