BYYB Forums

Full Version: Mortarboard Messabout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
With both AdLa and me being recent graduates we thought it would be appropriate to celebrate by having a mess about and naming it the Mortarboard Mess about. I will be done with my degree April 12th so that weekend beginning Friday April 13 through the 15th at Lake Mead. The exact location is being looked into and will be announced once it has been determined the best place to camp and sail.

Plan on being there! We look forward to sailabrating with everyone.
I am eagerly awaiting information :lol:
Sounds good. Let us know, I think I can make it.

aaron_stokes

at last, a date! if there is any way i can make it, i will be there. i will close my shop for the weekend if i have to! i think i will make it. i should have plenty of time to plan for it.

friday the 13? what is the idea on that one? i thought sailors were superstisious (spelling?). has loc ness ever been sited in lake mead?
i beter bring a harpoon just in case......is nessey on the endangered list??

what is the anticipated weather going to be like. it is still a little cold in northern utah at that time. i am just trying to determine if i should bring my swimming suit.
Aaron, April is very nice in Las Vegas. the average temps are from the low to mid 50s to the mid to high 70s. the key is to layer so you can peel off layers as it gets warmer. there typically isnt any rain to have to worry about either.

as far as the date goes, it was by chance that the friday after i finish school happens to be a 13th it also happens to be the same week as spring break for me, so i am off from my main job; also, since this is a celebration of our finishing school it would not due to have it before then Smile

no unidentified creatures have been spotted in the lake, however there have been reports of HUGE catfish in the lake

[Image: catfish1_thumb.jpg]

i look forward to seeing you there!
I was going to do some research this weekend but it is looking like sub-freezing temperatures are the reality for the next four days (unusual for this area) --- I have always launched at the northern ends of the lake but due to the drought etc they are closing the Overton Marina and people tell me that the best sailing is out off of Las Vegas bay - another source tells me that Hemenway point is the best because large power boats can't launch there. I was telling Bill that I would check out the kind of camping etc and get back to everyone. Mead is a national park and the park service has terrible information available - you really have to go out there to get an idea of what is available and how low the water is

[Image: sailing_back.sized.jpg]

all the white area on that mountain is where the water line used to be - that isn't to say that the lake doesn't still have water in it because it does - it is just that the best facilities are now near the damn.

I can't wait - April is a nice month and bring your fishing poles because that lake is full of striper and big mouth bass!

a.
The patches are underway.
i just found out that the commencement cerimony is on the 15th. i have been debating if i was going to walk or not, but now i think the decision has been made for me. i am not going to missout on another patch!
I will call the campground and get information on their group camp site. also it says that there are no reservations for campgrounds, the six month thing is for house boats. Adla was thinking about just beach camping which we can do anywhere along the shore line for the most part as far as i can tell.

lets talk about if we want the camp ground, or beach camping

aaron_stokes

i love the idea of camping on the beach! any chance of getting out of paying for fun is what i am after. are ground fires allowed around the beach? if they are not, i would prefer a designated camp ground. you just can't camp and not have something to roast marshmellows over.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8