BYYB Forums

Full Version: deadeyes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Andrew Sullivan

I was looking at the dead-eye addendum and saw that they used a 2-1/4 inch diameter hole saw for the dead-eyes. Seems a little small for a vacationer. Does this size look right on the vacationer or are folks bumping it up a bit? Can anyone recommend a size they're happy with?Thx.Andy
I'm not sure but I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that one myself. :-)

James Sanders

Ahoy, Andrew—

Yes, a 2 1/2 diameter does seem a bit on the small size for a large boat. I would suppose that deadeyes are pretty much like anything else, at least when it comes to design.

My suggestion would be: just make the deadeyes a size you like, a size that you think looks good. Keep everything in proportion to the overall size of the boat, and you should be fine.

Ostentatious and obnoxious deadeyes, complete with flashing neon lights that read, "Look at me! Look at me!" is something none of us want. Aristotle's notion of the golden means is good here: proportion and balance with nothing in excess.
Anything above 5.5" would be too big I think, 4.5 for a minimum.