BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lost at Sea: Horatio Hornblower and Easton Press
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

I waited too long to purchase the Horatio Hornblower series from Easton Press.
These remarkable leather-books are now out of print, suited only for collectors of rare books and bibliophiles.

However, all is not lost.
Easton Press has just released a full set of sea-faring novels by Patrick O'Brian: Master and Commander Series.

The New York Times review has proclaimed the O'Brian novels—"The best historical novels ever written."

Whether or not the New York Times can be believed is quite another matter, but these are novels are well-written, and worthy of reading by sailor and landlubber alike. Any edition by Easton Press is top quality.

http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/...?code=1535

Easton Press

Quote:Each volume is bound in genuine-leather and contains 22kt gold accents on the traditionally "hubbed" spine. Each book also contains moire fabric endsheets, satin-ribbon page markers, and much more. Additionally, each volume features a full-color frontispiece of the beloved Geoff Hunt dust jacket art.

I lost out on the Hornblower series. I did not lose out on the O'Brian Master and Commander.
Jim,

I just happen to be, once again, reading my 1958, hard back copy of The Indomitable Hornblower. :wink:

Always a good read.
I couldn't believe it but my son gave me a set of DVD's of several Hornblower movies put together by the BBC. I haven't watched any of them yet but am hoping to shortly. I did read the books several years ago and they are great. I also enjoyed the two of O'Brien's books that I read. Good stuff.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Steve, sounds like you had a great Christmas. We bought the video set about a year or so ago, and have really enjoyed the series. (The first and last one in the series, however, seemed a bit too violent for our taste.)

A 1958 hardback copy! Wow! You have a treasure there, Mike. Someone told me there is a full set of paperback copies available. Looks like we'll have to buy those if we are to get any copies at all.
I've been renting the series from Blockbuster online and have enjoyed them very much. The movies are great and so are the bonus features. Hard to believe they built that ship for the movie.

Keith