BYYB Forums

Full Version: Woot!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My vacationer plans arrived in the mail today.

The journey begins. . . .

James Sanders

Good. Adventure begins.
David, you slacker! :lol: GET BUSY!

Seriously, welcome to the nut house. Now go make some sawdust.

Mark Keyser

Hi David,

Are you planning to build straight from the plans, or do you have some significant modifications in mind? Hollow mast? Cabin details? Cockpit seating changes? Wheel or tiller?

Launch this summer? That would be truly inspiring. Periodic progress reports would be great to see.
Quote:Hi David,

Are you planning to build straight from the plans, or do you have some significant modifications in mind? Hollow mast? Cabin details? Cockpit seating changes? Wheel or tiller?

Launch this summer? That would be truly inspiring. Periodic progress reports would be great to see.

Let's see. I have been lurking and looking at what others have done and will probably incorporate some ideas that I like as I go.

I really like how Chris Gerkin has made his vacationer. I see lots of good ideas. I will probably not stray too far from the plans as this will be my first complete build. I have restored old wooden stars in the past and am accustomed to building things like railroad cars for a living (my prior life as a welder)so I am used to long extended projects, however my hope is to be sailing sometime this coming summer.

If it happens, it happens. If not I have my newport blue crab to trash around in.

I have a bronze foundary locally that does single orders and small runs so I may get various fittings made. I was hoping to find a way to have my wheel steering running with some sort of gear and quadrant rather than cables. (If anyone has tried this, please let me know how it turned out.)

Hollow mast? I have heard mixed reports. So far from reading the boards it sounds like a hollow mast with solid plugs in strategic places seems to work well with a solid boom, gaff, and bowsprit.

I know one thing. I make pavilions for historical re-enactments, and I think my next tent is going to have a birds-mouth center pole. My last one was solid red-oak. (very pretty for staining purposes but good god! I can barely lift it.)

Cabin details I'm still a bit fuzy on and will do some more lurking.

Once I get started I will throw up a web site/blog of my progress (and moans).

Cheers,

Dave G.
Congratulations David, and welcome to the madness,
good luck on your build, If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask,
there are a couple of arias you
need to watch, like deck lofting and also the deck joiner at the
cabin bulk head,
thats all I know of as of yet.
I am doccumenting my build on my website your more than welcome
to check it out. here is a revised deck lofting layout.

[Image: loftdecl.jpg.jpg]

Brian.

Mark Keyser

Incorporate?? Incorporate?? Ya mean "steal" dont'cha? Dat's what us pirates do here ... Steal. Arrrgh... (You're not an engineer are you?) But the "lurking" works well. I'm lurking too.
Welcome David, I built my Vacationer in six months, so a summer launch is possible. I didn't have the boat entirely done at launch time, it floated, and was able to sail. I finished hatches, trim and doors during the first summer.

As for deviations from plans, I made a binnacle steering system, and built diiferent cabin arrangment. I've added a furling jib, and am building a new rudder this winter.

Go for it and keep us posted on your progress.

Greg
Welcome David,

I think you will like the Vacationer, my wife and I have enjoyed ours for six seasons now. Like Greg, I built my Vacationer in about six months, but it took me three years to finally get the portholes in. :roll:

[Image: normal_aw_two.jpg]