BYYB Forums

Full Version: Little Gem Evolutions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently the question got asked wether bigger is better, well the answer is, "It Depends." The first boat I built was the Stevenson Pocket Cruiser and I found it to be a perfect boat for one person cruising (two for short times) or for family daysailing. The PC isn't a big boat and could pound out your fillings if sailed for a long time in chop or wind-driven waves but she was wonderful on most inland lakes. In addtion, she was very easy to tow, launch, sail, and retrieve by myself. I subsequently built several other smaller boats including the C12 described below. When I moved from Akron, Ohio to Atlanta, GA I was offered money for the Pocket Cruiser so I sold it. Later, I found I missed having a one-person cruiser and the kids missed having the cabin for daysailing. I have purchase a bigger boat, Mac 26D, for family cruising but it doesn't have the simplicity and ease of the smaller Pocket Cruiser for daysailing or one person cruising.

Below, I first describe the Bateau.com C12 that I call Little Gem as I originally built her. Then, I will describe how I am currently modifying her as a PC replacement even though she is only 12' long.

I built my C12 a little differently than the plans Confusedhock: with a different arrangement of the seats, a standing lug rig, and a daggerboard. She sails like a dream constantly surprising folks with her speed. The seating arrangement worked out as well.

[Image: normal_boatshow1.jpg] [Image: normal_boatshow2.jpg]
These pictures are from the mid-america boat show. Later, I eliminated the bowsprit and the clubfoot on the jib. The jib is so small it doesn't do much for the performance of the boat.

[Image: booking.jpg] Probably one of my most favorite picture of the boat showing both how fast she can go and how well she handles rough water!

[Image: f25df9c4.jpg] [Image: f25df8b8.jpg] [Image: f25df77a.jpg] These three pictures were taken after I eliminated the bowsprit. You can see how small the jib is. Also, my 8 year old son was sailing the boat with no problems and total enjoyment while I manned the watergun artillery :lol: .

[Image: normal_c12.JPG] [Image: normal_c12b.JPG] [Image: normal_c12p.JPG]

A series of pictures showing the inside of the boat. The slanting board to the left of the daggerboard trunk is actually a seat and the most comfortable place in the boat. Under the seats along the side I have L shaped brackets to hold some plastic bins for storage. The aft seat doesn't go all of the way to the transom making for a great place to put my cruise n carry motor. The bulkheads are cut out for lightness and 2" of floatation foam are glued under every seat where there aren't storage boxes in the way. In light air it is best if I sit on the rowing thwart or as close to as possible. As the wind increases, I find myself sliding back to balance the boat out.
You can see in the previous post what the inside of the boat looked like. Down below, you can see how it has evolved.

First step was to take all of the old seats and mastep out of the boat. Can anyone say sawsall :lol: . Also, I took stripper to the paint on the sides of the boat in order to make the new epoxied parts stick.

[Image: normal_empty.jpg] [Image: normal_Stripper1.jpg] [Image: normal_Stripper2.jpg]

Next step was to put in a new structure to support the deck. The plan is to eventually have a deck with coaming around cockpit opening. Then, have a cabin trunk that I can put on the foward part of the open cocpit converting her into what will look like a little catboat with cabin. I also plan on lowering the cockpit seats for more head clearance, back support (from coamings) and a bimini which all adds up to more comfortable sailing in the south. The rowing thwart will be a hinged seat attached to the back of the daggerboard case and midship frame. With a few built in drinkholders, it will also double as a table at a perfect height for the cockpit seats.
[Image: normal_deckstructure.jpg] [Image: normal_deckstructure2.jpg]
In order to get 6' worth of length for the berth, it was necessary to move the mast 16" forward. Besides, I like a catboat rig and this would eliminate the small jib that didn't do too much for me. A gaff sail moves the CE back from where the lug sail had it so I am hoping she will balance out without lee-helm. Good design of the sail proportions should help as well. The bunk will be canvas and will be easily mountable and removable with no need for space-hoging cushions. Will have some storage under.
[Image: normal_step.jpg] [Image: normal_Lazarette2.jpg] [Image: normal_Lazarette1.jpg]

The preceeding pictures show some of the details I am trying to add to the boat as I go along. Up in the bow I have made a sealed compartment for storing anchor line and chain. I will have to make some sort of drain and I already have the anchor pipe to go through the deck. There still is space below this compartment for floatation. The second picture shows the lazarette hatch which will be held in place by a bungee attached to the back of the hatch and to the transom. The oval shape allows the hatch to be pass back into the lazarett to get it out of the way when loading. The basic hatch idea I got from Ian Outread. The final picture shows the built in shelves and fids in order to organize this storage space. The latest additions (not yet pictured) are a motor well which gives clearance to clamp a motor to the transom and the rails to hold up the canvas berth are going in. Also, I have glassed the face of the aft and midship frames and added some width to the gunnel to give something more to attach the deck to.

There won't be sitting headroom in the cabin with the trunk in place. However, I am planning on making the cabin pop-up when at anchor for more comfortable accomodations.