BYYB Forums

Full Version: Seagull for the Whippoorwill
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm the new owner of an old engine thanks to Ed Jones. After trying to get the gull started a couple of weeks ago with little luck Ed decided to part with it. I look forward to getting it running correctly and I think it will look great on the back of my boat. I may have to get a new carb for it, the old one looks like it had salt water in the bowl for a while and the throttle body is corroded pretty bad. I found a new one for $140 out in San Fran. I think it will fit in my stocking if Santa's listening. I'm going to try to clean it out again and give the inside a good scrubbing. I think it will be a good engine.

Keith
Loud, smoky, cranky, smelly beasts they are, God I love 'em. How can it be, that the inventors of the V12 Jaguar, which can only run well on every third weekend and is as contentious as they are, could come up with the elegantly simple little Sea Gull. They salute weird too . . . but do have a pretty national ensign . . .
Keith save the Johnson. You will need it in the near future, you will get tired of jacking with that dam thing. I happen to be the proud owner of a 1985 Jag. with only 80,000 mi. on it. The reason for the low miles in 26 years ( about 3000 mi a year) is that is all I could keep it running. In my humble opinion the sea gull should have a cat on it also they run about the same, but with 10 ft. of chain and 200 ft. of line they make a nice anchor. Bud. :wink:
Hey Bud, Paul, You think old jags are bad, Ford now owns jag, they have for a few years, should be interesting to see how good they are now. :roll:
Good luck with your new seagull keith, one arm is going to be bigger than the other :lol:

Brian.
Let's see as I my memory serves me correctly it was my SEAGLL we used on the back of your boat Pop....WHEN YOU COULD NOT GET BENNIES JOHNSON TO RUN!!!!

Keith, glad you have that motor. I sold it to Ed, it is a great old motor. It was too big for Fat Chance so I bought a little 2.5 hp Seagull for my boat and I love it. It has always been reliable.... I did have to reset the timing which I suspect your motor could benefit from that too if you are having to crank it a lot.

Dick Russell, who used to hang out here alot, has the exact same motor Ed sold you on the back of his oversized PC. You might want to drop him an email, he knows alot about them.

There is all sorts of info availabale on the net, I have the service manual... drop your address if you need a copy.

I love how they look, how they sound and even the smoke.... however don't wear a neck tie when you use it :lol: OSHA would have a fit if they had one look at that free spinning flywheel.
Good purchase.

Seagulls run well. I suspect maybe a lack of mechanical knowledge would contribute to not being able to get it up and running reliably. These motors are simple and very, very reliable. My uncle's Seagull (40+ Model) starts first or second pull every time.

On a side note, If Ford now owns jag, I fail to see the improvement. Dig-dig. :lol:
Being a Ford mechanic I totally agree with you shawne, thats why I chose Fords to work on, lotsa work, :wink:

Brian.

P.S. new jags are lincoln L.S's
You guys got em like em keep em,and as far as mechanical ability I don't have any I cant work on a airplain engine eather but I don't have a airplain. Y'all keep the sea gull's and maybe santa will bring y'all all the 10 foot of chain and 200ft. of line. Happy Holiday. Bud. :wink:
You ain't right. :lol: 8)
Hi Angie,
I don't think I'll have a problem with the necktie. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I had one. Now if I found an uppity guest who just couldn't venture on a sailing vessel without his blazer and tie, even he would be safe becaust it's got a recoil starter. There's no open flywheel spinning on it like most do. It even has an alternator on it. I tested it out and was getting 13.5 volts off it. They say it charges at 4 amps. That will be a great thing to have on the water during those long trips. Here's a few pics

[Image: gull.jpg]

[Image: transom.jpg]

Keith
Pages: 1 2 3