BYYB Forums

Full Version: BEER cruise 2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The organizers of the BEER crusie are meeting on December 2nd to firm things up. Traditionally, the cruise has been held the weekend after memorial day. Last cruise they tried holding earlier to avoid bad weather but attendance dropped due to kids still being in school. So, rumor is that it will move back to the weekend after memorial day which means May 30th to June 4th. Is anyone planning to attend?

Also, my sailing club, Southwinds Sailing club, plans on sponsoring an extension to the BEER cruise. By sponsor I mean encourage everyone to stick around for the whole week to enjoy turquois water, white sand beaches, and the company of fellow trailer-sailors. Being a laid back group interested in, the more the merrier, I would like to extend an invite to anyone in the BYYB who is interested in cruising Florida waters for a week.

Think about it and put it on your calendars! If we get enough members, it could be a SE fleet messabout as well!
We may do it next year but it depends on the other events scheduled around then.
Scott, as much as I keep on wanting to attend this event, above most all other sailing get togethers, next year is going to be out. We've got to start saving our pennies right now. We just found out what Dawn's dad is getting the entire family for next thanksgiving ... a 7-day Caribbean cruise for 17 including himself. Needless to say, there's some island activities that the four of us are going to want to do, some booze that will just have to be consumed, and who knows what else, so we're going to stick close to Michigan for the '07 season. '08, that had better be another thing altogether, I really want to make that BEER event.
Stuart, don't you want to cruise on your own boat?!? :wink: Actually, it makes sense though saddens me that you won't be down there.

Looks like we have 8 folks so far who might attend the BEER cruise. Anyone else interested?!?
I sailed at NAS Pensacola while stationed there for training over 35 years ago. I've wanted to get back to Pensacola for years and when I first heard about the BEER, I thought - Someday maybe.

I'm looking at it seriously. Depends on the dates. I'm got a family vacation in Orlando on the 10th and Daytona on the 15th. 2200 miles is a long way to pull a boat, but I could use the car there anyway and I could save on the flight. SWMBO has given me approval with the proviso that she won't be driving. I'd have to come alone, but this is probably my best chance to do it. What the heck, it's only 6 days of driving - right?

Maybe, just maybe. Smile
Yikes, 6 days of driving! However, this event would be worth it especially if you chose to do the extended cruise option. If not drive, then fly and someone may be able to fit you in their boat. I will depending on which boat I take.
6 Days?! You can do better than that. I drove from Atlanta to Seattle in 3 1/2 days. Day 1 Oklahoma City, day 2 Kingman AZ, day 3 Medford Oregon and I was in Seattle for lunch. This was while pulling a u-haul trailer behind my Nissan pickup which was also loaded. It was quite the drive. I saw a lot of beautiful country though, I was amazed at the sites in NM and AZ. You could make it there easily in 4 days. We'll be waiting for you with a cold beer

Keith
No, I'm already planning on better than that. That's 3 days one way and 3 days back. I once drove from Pensacola to SLC in 33 hours straight, but that was when I was young and crazy. At 3 days one way that's better than 730 a day, about my limit now. Without anyone else to spell me at the wheel and worring about a trailer and all that's pretty fast.