BYYB Forums

Full Version: oop's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok well I got the deck onto my boat today, But it doesn't seem to want to line up, first off the pannel joiners land right onto the cabin bulkhead causing it to be to high, then the forward bulkhead does not fit as well I've been checking the plans and they say nothing about where the pannel joiners are supposed to be at the cabin bulkhead, and the notch at the forward bulkhead does not line up as well I dunno what I did wrong but it sure is sumthin' heres a couple pic's I took while it was light ,any help would be highly appreciated Thank You in advance.
Brian.
this is a pic of the cabin bulkhead and deck joiner...
[Image: Copy%20of%20dontfit2cpy.JPG]
and here is one where the front bulkhead is not lining up...
[Image: Copy%20of%20dontfit3cpy.JPG]
Another great one of cabin bulkhead and joiner not cooperating...
[Image: Copy%20of%20dontfit4cpy.JPG]
And heres the front bulkhead not lining up as well...
[Image: Copy%20of%20dontfit5cpy.JPG]
A differant angle...
[Image: Copy%20of%20dontfit6cpy.JPG]
And a fuzzy pic of a non cooperative deck...
[Image: Copy%20of%20dontfitcpy.JPG]

Again Thank You for Your advise in advance.
Brian

John Kocher

Brian,

I had the exact same problem on my Vacationer where the deck and the cabin bulkhead met, in my case causing a 'hump' on my deck. To maintain a nice fore-aft curve (sheer line?) on the deck, I ended up cutting down the cabin bulkhead an extra 1.5", which also meant I had to trim the outer edge where the hull would contact it.

One other change I would have made at this point (if I were doing it again) would be to add a slight downward slope on the deck from the inboard side of the deck to the outboard side to assist in water drainage when she is sitting level. That would have required me to install the interior bulkheads (or temporary braces) before the cabin sides were installed to hold the inside higher than the outside, which I didn't think of until the after the epoxy securing the cabin sides was set. Maybe next time.

Your making amazing progress, good luck.

John K.
John Thank You for your help that makes sense I believe thats what I am going to do, I like that Idea about the slope I have to look into that
i have to run to work right this sec. but I will post some more tonight,
Again Thank You for your help.

Brian.
Brian do you remember the drains on my deck at this exact point? I had the same problem. The plans are wrong somehow here. Cut away at the bulkhead to get the deck right and put in a temporary post to hold the side decks up level as you continue to build.
Yepper John, good idea about the slope away from the cabin. Water always collects there.

I too, had the same problem. There are a few Vacationers with a hump in the deck at the aft bulk head. :roll:

Cut to fit.
Well John, Craig, And MIke, I am sooo glad I am not alone on this one, I thought for sure me not bieng a wood worker was the problem I looked and tried to move things and remeasure things and just could not figure out what I did wrong which had me panicking, So all I have to do is cut the bulkhead the thickness of the pannel joiner add a little slope to it and use a prop stick till the cabin is on? hey craig were those scuppers you used for your drains?I think i remember but I do suffer from CRS in fact its chronic (lol) , again thank you guys I would have been beating my head till I figured this thing out :roll:
Brian.
When building these boats, little individual variances come into play. End result is that, as you progress, the actual dimensions of the parts needed for your boat may vary from the dimensions of the parts on the plans. Learning this caused me to have to build two deck assemblies in order to get the aft portion to match up with the Pocket Cruiser transom. :oops: This is why cutting out all of the parts ahead of time isn't such a good idea. I know my forward bulkhead ended up not fitting being too narrow. I fixed it by adding extra wide stringers on the side and moved it around abit until everything fit fair and smooth. As my build progressed, I began looking at the plans as a general reference giving me an idea of where the next part should go and the rough dimensions. I would then go to my boat and measure actual dimensions to use in cutting out the part. This is why most of our boats probably vary a little on the dimensions.

Now, I do know of some builders, who will remain unamed, who are gifted enough craftsmen that they were able to build their boat (a Vacationer and Weekender) to the dimensions of the plans so I know it is possible. The only exception is the infamous Station 13 on the weekender plans which I have heard about but never experienced.
Brian those drains are the large street ells for lawn sprinklers. Easy to connect with plastic tubing. Bore the hole a bit over sized and usre the two part hand mix epoxy paste to seal the bottom and hold them in place. Then back fill with liquid poxy iup to deck level. The shrinkage makes a perfect angle to the drail fitting. Leep the drain hole inthe side high. ( Between the rub rails )
Ahh yes I remember now it all came back to me, Thank You Craig, yes I like that idea,

Brian.
Ok here goes... the forward bulkhead tab is between the forward deck pannel joiners in the slot created, the deck is resting on the tab, the deck pannel joiner is rear of the bulkhead tight against it the deck joiner does not rest on the bulkhead as per plans, the deck stringers are clamped down to the bulkhead in place, this creates a slope from the center of the
fore deck sloping off gradually to the sides, I am wondering if I support the deck to the bulkhead using stringers and maybe some wdges to fill in the space if this slope would be a good thing for drainage?
Or should I just cut the tab off and set the deck flush with the bulkhead and make everything fit all flush? Either way the bulkhead will be attatched to the deck and floor.
Here is a photo of it, notice the slope off to the side, it's not as drastic a slope as it appears in the photothat is just poor camera angle...
[Image: thumb_trim1cpy.JPG]
You can see the photo better in the gallery
Thank You for the help and advise in advance All Y'all.

Brian.
Pages: 1 2