BYYB Forums

Full Version: Best Sail Yet for Sunshine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Brian_Watford

I went out on Lake Lanier on Sunday. Winds were forcast 5-10 with gusts to 15. The sun was out and we had a patch of blue sky as big as a dutchmans britches. It was a great day for sailing!! Big Grin
We put in at Big Creek (just beside Holiday Marina). When we got on the lake the Lanier Sailing Academy boats were all out. 4 Catalina 22s playing, learning, and just having fun. Well I found myself an the same heading as one of them on a close reach and pulling away. Just when I was feeling real good about myself, it was time to tack. Well, I sheeted the mizzen to the center and put the helm over, the boat came around slicker'n grits!! She came across the wind, I let go the mizzen sheet, we backed the main and she pulled right on around lickety split. We found our new course, and cleated both sheets when the main snotter came untied and let go. The mainsprit fell down and the sail was just making all kinda racket.
I gathered up my pride, hove to, and climbed out on the forward deck to put the rig back together. One academy boat even came by close (guess to see if I needed help). By the time they got there I had the snotter tied back on and was refitting the sprit. I got her back together and headed for the main channel of the lake.
When we got to the channel, there were some one designs having a regatta. 'Bout 6 or 8 of 'em. Wind was really pickin' up. Those gusts to 15 were getting more frequent and sustained.
One big sloop was out playing with her spinaker. As we approached the channel, the sloop was running almost straight at us with this huge red, yellow and blue spinnaker leading the way. They jibed and lowered the spinaker and put her on a reach. Next thing you know they had the spinaker back up. That boat really healed on that point of sail with the spinnaker up. I guess the gunnels needed washin'.
After playing around out on the lake, we decided to head back. Ran wing and wing for a while. When we turned in toward the ramp, the wind was blowing straight from it. I furled the sails and fired up the twin wooden diesels to bring her in.
We sailed for just under 2 hours, Went 5.67 miles. Top speed on the GPS was 6.4 MPH.
Nice to read about your sailing adventure Brian. Our water is getting hard up here, and my Vacationer is trailered and tarped for the season since early October. The southern sailing stories are great to read until next spring. [Image: lastsailofseason2006029.jpg]

Greg

Brian_Watford

That's one of the great things about living down here. Of course there are great sailing adventures to be had all over.
Glad to see you made it out. Ed and I were north of you at Old Federal aboard his PC. It was a nice day for a sail. I tried to call and see if you could join us but all I got was you message in spanish saying you were not available. I'm thinking about getting mine out again this weekend if the weather is good. Let me know if you might want to join me
Keith

Brian_Watford

I read about your sail in the PC. Sounds like a good time had by all. I have a lot of things going on keeping me tied up on the weekends for a while. I guess I just need to find a job sailing. Big Grin Maybe we'll have some indian summer days in December that will be good for Sailing!!!