BYYB Forums

Full Version: Just launched - now it is time for refining
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Andrew_Linn

Fellow Weekenders, I launched my newly refurbished boat last weekend. She sailed like a dream - you can see the pictures at:
http://andrewlinn.com/061021tahkenitch/t..._start.htm

I want to change the rigging from a throat and peak halyard to just one line that both raises the gaff and sets the peak - any ideas?

Andrew
Good looking boat Andrew:

[Image: 14aunderway.jpg]

Quote:I want to change the rigging from a throat and peak halyard to just one line that both raises the gaff and sets the peak - any ideas?

Andrew

I haven't seen that done on one of our boats but it could be very slick if you can engineer it.

Oh - why didn't you paint the boat RED? :mrgreen:

Andrew_Linn

I just went outside and tested this - not on the water, mind you, just in the yard. It uses a double block on the mast head (same as the original rigging) and a single block at the gaff-end of the yard.

Rigging: Tie-off at the end of the yard, run the line over the top of one of the masthead blocks, down to the mast-side of the throat block, back up and over the other masthead block, and down the mast.

When you pull on the line, it pulls the throat block towards the masthead. When the luff of the sail gets tight, it stops the throat from going up, and any more tension goes into lifting the peak.

I saw a tiny drawing of something like this in one of the drawings in the Gaff Rig Handbook. I don't think it gives as much control over the shape of the sail as having dedicated throat and peak halyards. I'll try this the next time I am out.

[Image: rigging.gif]
[Image: setting.gif]
Andrew thanks for sharing the photo's with us. She looks fine in her new red dress and you look tickled with her. Thanks again Smile Bud.
Congrats on your launch Andrew, looks like you had fun. Of course with these boats its always fun. Sorting out the steering can be troublsome at times, my Vacationer's binnacle steering system has required lots of adjustments and refining, along the way.

I like your idea for hoisting the gaff and sail. I wonder how much mechanical lifting advantage will be lost, with less pulleys?

Greg
This is the typical way to set up a single halyard. This arrangement is good for sails up to about 100 sq. ft. It has a 2:1 purchase for some power to peak up hard and because both purchases have the same number of falls, the gaff rises level.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/srai...ality=Full

The draw backs to this arrangement are: it is difficult to scandalize the sail, it can be more troublesome to reef if you've waited a tad too long and less control in hoisting/dousing operations.

In small craft, these minor issues can be over looked to a degree. If you are a heavy air sailor, you'll want more power and the scandalizing option available, but the average Saturday afternoon sailor shouldn't be troubled with this setup.
Andrew, Congratulations on the launch she's a really great looking boat,
Thank you for the pic's send more as you have sailing adventures.

Brian.

Andrew_Linn

A friend took some photos, too. I have posted those up at:
http://andrewlinn.com/061021john/kohnen_..._start.htm

Brian_Watford

Beautiful boat, thanks for sharing.