BYYB Forums

Full Version: Applying paint.....roller or brush? or both?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At long last I am very close to applying my paint. Today I got two coats of primer on, sanded that and applied one more coat before it got dark. I think I only will need one more coat of primer before I sand and apply my top paint. Barry has mentioned using a medium napped roller and "tipping it out" with a brush. I'm not sure what "tipping it out" means. Seems that rollers leave too much of a texture. I bought a good brush recommended for this application and I'm thinking I would prefer using a brush if the streaks aren't too noticeable.
I'm sure someone else will explain this better than myself :oops: Tongue

"Tipping it out", as I understand it (and did it), means to roll the paint on with the roller, then LIGHTLY brush over the painted area. This removes the texture of the roller. The medium nap roller allows more paint to be applied in one pass, so be on the look out for drips. The light brush leaves little trace of it's passing through. The finished outcome is better than just brushing alone, much faster, and it done well, can leave an almost sprayed-on look.
with a "dry" brush.... not dipped in paint. You might even need to clean it half way thru if paint starts to dry on the brush, HOWEVER, mineral spirits (paint thinner/ terpentine) will change the color of the paint so clean the brush and dry it good before using it to tip again. :!: Good luck and congrats on finishing your hull.
Use a smooth foam roller. I learned the hard way. Regular rollers leave little hairs behind.
They have roller covers that are specific to solvent based materials. These can be foam or hair, but use the smallest "nap" available, so you can lay it down thin (one of the keys to a good paint job).

Tipping off is a technique that needs some practice, but most learn pretty quickly. The brush must be dry, though doesn't have to be bone dry. Wipe it clean on a rag (paper towels leave lint) each time you tip. Hold the brush pretty near vertical to the work, not leaning over as if it had paint in it and use a light touch.

Lay the paint down as evenly as you can with the roller. This should be a thin, even coating, then tip off right away, working small areas at a time. Always tip off in the direction of the grain, as some marks will remain and they look better if they flow with the plank or part, rather than against it.
Thanks for all the great tips!! I just finished applying the last coat of primer today and will return on Saturday at the latest to begin sanding and applying the top coat of paint. I'm really looking forward to this!