BYYB Forums

Full Version: New project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, my son really started paying attention to the sailing stuff this summer, and wanted to learn more. We've settled on a father-son build to give him first hand exposure to the whole thing ... except perhaps epoxy. The other day, we ordered the plans for the D-5 Dinghy from bateau ... more detailed version of the D-4 free plans they offer, but basically the same boat. We ordered the fiberglass kit through them, including floatation foam, and the packages arrived today.

Now I'm going through the rest of the material list, and getting my thoughts in order for plywood supplier, misc. supplies, etc., and seeing what I can do in the next few weeks to get ready to go. The plans call for between 20 and 30 hours of build time. I'll be taking it easy and coaching Devon through the build, so it may take a little longer. Either way, he should have his own boat by spring.

Of course, I've still got to find a roof rack by spring too, so that both boats can come along to the lake once I feel comfortable with him taking the boat out without me aboard.

Just like his old man, he's already asking if we can change things. He wants a fishing pole holder, cup holders, etc. Little things, but the madness always begins with little things. Speaking of little things, I've still got to fix the gouge in the bottom of my hull from a submerged log before spring too. Ahh, it's going to be a good winter, build time's a comin. Smile

I'll keep you posted on how we do.
Interesting. I am building an Optimist this winter for my daughter. I'll compare photos with you.
i am excited about the projects...maybe i will finish my triad - (the weekend project that has stretched out a year)....

a.
I have six sheets of plywood in the garage for two boats for the kids. We settled on the flying mouse design by Gavin (go to www.duckworksmagazine.com and click on plans). It is an 8' long v bottom pram/ board boat with a footwell and you sit on the deck. It has a 9" freeboard with plenty of floatation and can be paddled around with a double bladed paddle (my kids seem to like that better than rowing). I figured a board boat where you sit close to the water and can hike out on the deck would be thrilling for the kids. With only a small footwell, it should be easy for them to recover in case of a capsize (they will get plenty of practice. Besides. The small freeboard Means less windage on the car or the foredeck of my big boat.

I was thinking of Optomist for awile because there is an active group on our local lake but was scared off by the need to be exact in building. Figure I will spend the money for a kit or finished boat only if the kids really take to sailing. With the mouse I am only out the price of materials and can use inexpensive ply at that. I also really like the D5 for its v bottom and large capacity for its length. Unlike the mouseboat, it has the capacity to sail with an adult and child on board.
I'd love to build another boat. I have the plans for a Glen-L Feather. I just love the lines on it. I'd build it as a stripper. I can't justify it though. I already have a boat. Wish I could get my grandkids interested in sailing, that would be a great and give us a project for the winter. Well, if wishes were fishes...
Staurt,

That looks like a great project for you and your son. It got me thinking about how I should maybe build another boat. My Oldest daughter will be turning 12 in January and I am hoping to get her to start Navy Cadets around that time as well. Hopefully she will enjoy it and her and I can work together to build a D5 or something similair. I think she would enjoy it.

I don't think I have looked at the D5 before, it's a pretty sweet little boat. Looks like it would provide a lot of fun and experience for kids (and adults)

Good luck.
Hey all, now that I've had a chance to look over the plans, there are actually a few small differences between the D4 and D5. The main difference is the daggerboard box. which is contained inside the the seat on the D5, and in front of it on the D4.

Funny thing though, their fiberglass kit doesn't include resin or glass to coat the outside of the hull, just the seams, since that's an option, not manditory. Go figure. I think that I can get all the added sailing parts out of the second half of the 3/8" plywood, since that calls for 1.5 sheets.

We're going with the sprit rig, so I think I may start Devon out with the spars, tiller and misc. pieces to get him comfortable working with tools.

I'm trying to locate a local supplier of marine wood, so that the boat lasts a while. After working with ACX on mine, I'm not skimping on wood anymore. Just wasn't worth it. Worst case, I can order it online, but the shipping costs are incredible. Close to 1/3 of the cost of the whole boat.

Funny that we've got a few builders ready to pass along the madness to another generation. Scott, you're partly to blame for my son catching it. Seeing Shawn with his own boat planted the seed a while ago, and after this summer, it's taken root and growing. For that, thank you.

Looking forward to hearing all the posts, and seeing progress photos. Who knows, perhaps we'll get a kids regatta going so that they have their own events when we get together.