BYYB Forums

Full Version: Yee Haw!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got my adjusted times back for my last sailboat race in my MacGregor 26D and found out I placed first beating out all other boats including three J24's and a Pearson Ensign. Of course, being in a different fleet I started 8 minutes after they started so changes in the wind might have had an impact. I did pass the tail end of A fleet before crossing the finish line though.
You know you're not supposed to be running the engine during these races. I know it's quiet but you would think someone would have noticed!
Congrats! Hope you shared some Pussers with the losers.

Keith
Keith first off all the Pussers is just a nice memory for Scott it has long been gone and he put tea in the bottle. Second he didn't run his gas engine at all, he used the electric one he has in the cabin in a well it is the same old moter he had in the cabin in a well on his P/C when he was sailing off and leaving all those Vacantiners. and third he just races for fun. etc. etc. Bud. :wink:
Actually, I just lassoed some of them thar alleghators that Bud is so fond of using human hair from my back.... :lol:

A favorable change of wind helped me quite a bit because it allowed me to take the windward leg in one tack versus three for the A fleet. But I was singlehandling at the time.
Thats Scotts story and he is sticking to it, anyway glad the old battery held up for the race. Scott you said I could use a double block on the lower boom block to make the throat and peak pull 1 for 1. I already have a bouble but both the gaff lines go through it. I am going to try a triple that way I can double the throat I think that may make them pull 1 for 1. When I get this like I want it I will start messing with a bridle set up between block #1 and #2 on the gaff maybe restring the peak line again I have only done it about a half dozen times. to be cont. Bud :wink:
Way to go Scott, I know those J boat boys hated getting dusted by a Mac. You know you just made some enemies. :lol: The little Ensign is understandable, it is a full keel boat and should not have been able to keep up with you or the J's in light air .... I am curious how the Ensign got put in the class with the J boats, that doesn't seem very fair. Oh well, to the victory go the spoils! AAARRRGH!!!!!!!!!!
Outstanding! Big Grin Does my heart good to see that happen. Gives a lot of support to those other Mac owners out there. They can perform under good hands and the right conditions.
Angie, this group sails a variety of boats and uses the Portsmoth rating to adjust times. That is why there are a variety of boats on the water. However, my unadjusted time was 36.7 on one race and 29.2 on the other while the nearest J boat was 30.4 and 38.7 respectively. Both races I majorly benefited from a swing in the wind and an earlier decision to ditch the 150 genny in favor of the jib for better windward performance. My portsmoth rating that was used still has me flying the 150 and is 92.5 wheras the J24's were 83.3 meaning in order to tie they needed to beat me by 9 minutes in an hour Confusedhock: . They didn't realize it at the time because my fleet started 10 minutes behind theirs and the newsletter for our club didn't adjust the elapsed time to the different start times of the fleet. So, I kinda feel the need to toote my own horn and figured this was a safe place to do it. That Mac I bought has prooven to be a fast boat!!

The Ensign in question has been beautifully restored to better than new condition and is very ably sailed by her owner making it the boat to beat even in light airs. She is easier to keep up with in light airs but still manages to keep ahead of all but the J24's.

I am still learning all of this racing stuff and have found a good casual group that has a lot of fun regardless of the outcomes!