BYYB Forums

Full Version: Reef points for Tarp Sails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone installed reef points on a tarp sail? If so, how did you reinforce the reef point? I am planning on re-making tarp sails over the lONg wInTEr. Any educated guesses would be helpful, as well.
I use poly sails to check out different rig configuration. I've been caught out with them flying when storms have rolled through. They don't like storms. The material is stretchy and nice setting sails will set quite poorly after you make a go of it in heavy air. Those of us that are old enough to remember natural fabric sails (cotton, flax, etc.) had similar dread when the wind piped up. Once a sail gets stretched out of shape, it doesn't pull like it should and needs to be re-stitched to remove "belly" from the panels. On a poly sail, it means recutting the luff curve and possibly the corner dart(s), which is a lot simpler then ripping open each seam and moving the camber forward on a panel cut sail.

You can use reinforcement patches of fabric for your reef points, much like a sail of more traditional construction. These should be stitched, as relying on tape when the wind has you worried enough to reef isn't a good idea. A diamond of fabric is traditional, though circles, pretty little heart shapes and every other shape you can imagine has been used too. These would go on each side of the sail where a tie or cringle lives. Well build sails have more then one piece of reinforcement material, though I don't think a poly sail can stand too much abuse to warrant the extra effort.

Adla recently did some reef points, run the search thingie and see what comes up.

Steven Hunt

Brit,

Try putting pieces of white duct tape over each reef point. Then put a grommet through. It might not look pretty, but for $40 per suit (or less), these tarp sails are tough to beat.

Are you planning on making the drive down in here in a couple weeks for the Ghost Sail?
I am trying to make arrangements to be there, if only for moral support :lol: . Details seem to be up in the air. I will keep you posted.
I installed reef points in my sail this season. There spaced 3 feet apart, I used clear duct tape (use good quality stuff), applied 4 crossed strips about 1 foot long at each point, hammered with a rubber mallet to insure a good bond, and on both sides of the tarp. Then I installed a grommet in the centre of each point, ran a 2 foot length of 3/16 rope knoted on each side of the grommet. They have proved to be very durable, and look fairly good.

Greg