BYYB Forums

Full Version: Little more progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I got my transom attached with much clamping pressure
(and much pain from the cuticle I detatched from my finger),
And I got my bulkheads fitted and ready,
I should have my Decks going on by next weekend
(This is getting cool) heres a couple pic's I hope they're not huge...
[Image: transclamp.JPG]

[Image: testfit8.JPG]

Brian.

James Sanders

Ahoy Brian,

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but happy to see the fine progress photos. Looks like you just about have it!
That was the scream I heard. Glad to see you are coming along. We missed you at Nickajack. That's OK though cause Scott drank your share of the rum. 8) I'll send the rudder stuff by e-mail tonight.
Thank you Jim, Its getting there, you probubly did hear the scream craig,
I was using my bob vela approved screw out it does work pretty awsome
the screw decided to lay over and I had a ton of pressure on it to back it out and whwn it laid over I hit the tail with my cuticle and well you know the rest.
Yeah I really did plan on going to nickajack my boss just didn't think I should go so oh well next time fer sure.
Scott drank my rum? Confusedhock: heh heh.
Hey craig I really appreciate you sending me the rudder stuff I hear it was quite the fix for vacationer steering, Thank You.
Well off to work, joy.

Brian.
"it's just a flesh wound"..... Monty Python
Brian,

Thank you for the pictures, 8)

It has been a few years since my build, but I remember the excitement as the Vacationer took shape. :wink:

As far as the pain and blood goes, no Battleship is complete, without a little of both. Plus, a little piece of your soul is now ingrained into your ship.

I failed to use enough bracing between the deck and bottom, at this stage, while adjusting the angle of my bulk heads and getting the deck lines right. This is a good time to make sure the deck and joints are smooth and flush. With a true sweeping line from bow to stern. :roll:

Question for other Vacationer builders, was there a discrepancy with the deck cut outs on the aft cabin bulk head? A half inch too high in the plans? I can't remember, it might have been in the fore cabin bulk head, sorry. Never the less, I thought I would bring this up, after my build I do remember some other builders discussing this.

Mike
Mine is too high on the right side. Does the joiner sit on the bulkhead or beside it was the issue as I recall. Too late now for me. How it going Mike. Wx still so bad? Can you finish before snow flies, or do you spend the winter in the caves?
Does the joiner go beside the bulkhead?I would think thats how it goes but I dunno just a novice in deep.

Brian.
Yes, the joiner goes beside the bulkhead, not under it. Just measure at least twice and then recheck before making it permanent. :wink:

Looking good so far. 8)

A hint about cutting openings in bulkheads, etc. The reason they are laid out with rounded corners is that when you cut to a sharp angle the bulkhead looses a lot of strength. The sharp angles tend to crack and deteriorate first. With a rounded corner, they have incredible strength by comparrison. But I sure wouldn't change it after it is cut.

You will probably want to allow for weep holes to allow compartments to drain as well. But then you've probably thought about that already. :wink: