BYYB Forums

Full Version: motor shaft length
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Steve Cherry

I am in the market for a motor for my weekender and I'm confused about the proper shaft length needed. I've read where the cavitation plate should be even with the hull bottom of the boat. The transom on my weekender is 22 in. If you mount the motor according to the illustration in the builder's manual, it would be even longer and I don't think even a long shaft motor would extend to that level.

I'm looking at one motor where the owner states that the center of the prop is 21.5 in. from the inside top of the mounting bracket and 17 in. to the cavitation plate. I've also read on this forum of someone using a Cruise N Carry, and I've found one of them for sale, but the shaft lenght is not stated. I've also read on this forum of someone using an adjustable mounting bracket, but I can't find that post again. Anyone have experience with them.

I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on something that I have to "make work", or spend more money on to make it work.

Any sage advice would be appreciated.
Adjustable motor mounts are a personal preference. They're relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and don't care what motor you use, so long as the hp is within spec, usually 1-5 hp, and 4-15 hp or something like that, so that they can stand the weight. Since weekenders only use up to 5 hp, the smaller one's fine.

If you get a short shaft, that's what you'll need. If you get a long shaft, it should work just fine. I've got an electric now, so I don't have to worry about it. I've just got a 2x6 through-bolt mounted through the transom and a backing 1x8 inside the lazarette. The motor clamps onto it. A long shaft would mount the same way.

Anyway, the only down side to adjustable mounts is appearance. They don't look very traditional. Pat Mellema had a wooden adjustable mount he built and used when he lived up here. Not sure if he's still got it, and I don't know if he's got any pictures, but it looked easy enough to build.

Hope this helps.

Steve Cherry

Thanks for your reply, Stuart, your response was helpful.
Stuart

I can't find any pics of that mount. I found a springloaded mount at a flea market and am using that now.

Steve Cherry

I found a couple of motor mounts on Ebay. I'll keep an eye on them. I might end up using one either way I go. I'm getting to where I can see some light at the end of the tunnel on this Weekender. I've got the mast and bowsprit cut out and shaped along with most other parts. I'm going to try and do some staining and priming today. Next Saturday I'll have all of the rigging hardware and line I'll need. When I actually start to attach the hardware that will be an exciting moment. I don't have any good pictures to post yet because I have the boat on a dolly (which is suffering signs of strain) and if I roll it out of the garage, I might not be able to get it back up over the concrete lip at the edge of the garage. But eventually, soon I hope, I'll have to put it on the actual boat trailer and I can roll it out and get a good photo.
Can't wait. I remember that moment, seeing the rig standing tall for the first time. Not long before you'll feel the water passing beneath the keel.