BYYB Forums

Full Version: concrete countertops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anybody tired these? pros/cons? would you do it again? better than tile or granite (tiles not slab).
Concrete tops can be very asthetic in the right environment. I have installed several kitchens with these types of tops. One drawback I noticed is the necessary thickness of the top. I am used to 1 1/2" solid surface, laminate, or stone. The 2 to 2 1/2" thickness throws me off visually. However, after 6 years, the first one we did is in perfect shape. I suppose the trick is in reinforcing the right areas. There is some obvious build-up requirements in the cabinets below Big Grin

Brian R Walters

Thinking of redoing Fat Chance's interior, Angie? Just a thought, but concrete might be a little heavy for her.... :lol: :lol:
they've made kayaks out of concrete.... Tongue
I'm thinking about making some for my kitchen sometime. I might try a vaninty first just to get a feel for it. The biggest issue I see it weight. It will take several big guys to get the top in my kitchen. There sure is a lot you can do with them. If and when I start mixin concrete I'll let you know the results

Keith
I think I might try it. It is a small open kitchen in a cottage that is built like a "brick shit house" (it's killing me, ask Karl Cry ) ) . I am very intrigued by it.

Probably find some tile on Craig's List and go on with the program..... :lol:
I have a back massager that I was going to use to try to beat the air out of the mix after it's in the mold. Just let it pound on the bottom of the mold and the air is supposed to make it to the surface. Keep us posted

Keith
Keith,
We did a high end commercial space with concrete countertops, the kitchen area, the reception counters, the bathrooms and the wet bar tops in the offices.

The concrete was specified by the architect as a "lightweight" mix. In finished form it was about 60% of the weight of normal concrete mixes that I had seen used before. It all was vibrated down into the forms with a rental vibrator. Elimninated virtually any and all air bubbles and/or air pockets. Once pulled from the molds, they buffed up quickly and have held up well for going on 25 years at this point. Extreemely strong and still looking great. Two of the vanity sinks have needed replacement but all of the rest is still looking good.

So you might ask around about lightweight mixes for that use.