BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender - 1/4" Seat Tops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just about ready to put the seat tops on - after I seal and paint the insides where I won't be able to reach afterwards.

The plans suggest that 1/4" ply would be adequate for the seat tops. What is the experience of everyone else?
I am bigger than the average bear and 1/4" has been fine for the seat tops.
I used 1/2" with no problems and Rich is a little bigger than me.
I had mine laid out with 1/4" Marine Ply. One of them broke when I stepped on it during construction. I Know, I know, step lightly. :roll: Less pizza and donuts, substitute salads and diet cola or water instead. :wink:

I was planning on having lift lid seats with storage in them but decided to switch to open area in the rear half of them with slat seats on top. So...I covered the frame on top with left over 3/8" Marine and they are solid as a rock.

I figure that 1/4" isn't being asked to cover a very large area and it is supported about half way back by the divider. But what happens when that cooler full of beer, er ah beverages and ice gets dropped on it? Some things just should be a little stronger for greater peace of mind. 8)